"nobody wanna work"

Stopped at Arby’s for lunch during my wandering yesterday. Noticed a sign on the door: temporary hours, dining room closes at 5, drive up closes at 7.

Mosied in to find the manager working the counter. Laura has been there for years and recognizes me. I asked about the short hours, “did all your high school students quit when school started?” She said, no, they all started college. I offered that the Tim Horton’s that I visit had had their dining room open at least since April, but it has been closed for the last three weeks, ever since school started for the fall.

Maybe a “pro-growth” government will repeal the “intrusive” child labor laws and “burdensome” mandatory school attendance laws, so half the kids will drop out by the 8th grade, providing the “JCs” with a supply of low education, low skill, labor to flip burgers for life. And with so many people not continuing to High School, education budgets can be cut to pay for another tax cut for the “JCs”.
/sarcasm

Steve

5 Likes

"Stopped at Arby’s for lunch during my wandering yesterday. Noticed a sign on the door: temporary hours, dining room closes at 5, drive up closes at 7.

Mosied in to find the manager working the counter. Laura has been there for years and recognizes me. I asked about the short hours, “did all your high school students quit when school started?” She said, no, they all started college. I offered that the Tim Horton’s that I visit had had their dining room open at least since April, but it has been closed for the last three weeks, ever since school started for the fall."

A lot of these jobs were often filled by seniors…part timers, and some SAHM. They’re now paying $15 or more an hour around here and can’t find help. All the restaurants have help wanted signs.

The senior contingent is ‘aging out’ of the work force.

The stay at home mom’s can’t find affordable child care.

Of course, part of the problem is that most of these jobs, even for those who could work more, are 28 hour max a week jobs. More than 30 hours a week trigger all sorts of mandatory vacation, sick leave, and other requirements, so nearly every fast food job is limited to 28 hours. Only ‘managers’ work more since they are on salary and often wind up working 50-60 hours a week for 40 hour pay.

We have tons of ‘undocumented’ folks around but they can’t work legally. Work under the table for the most part at ‘family business’ or equivalent or in construction. Or on someone else’s SS number.

Maybe there are too many fast food places for today’s labor market? It will sort itself out.

As times get tougher, between expensive robotics…and lack of people, a good number of places might ‘fail’ and be gone in a year or two

People are looking for full time jobs…40 hours a week. It’s not at fast food.

t

My Best Buy local store is open 11-AM-8PM. I showed up a week ago to pick up an item but had to wait until they opened. A lot of grumbling amongst the geezer crowd waiting about “banker hours”. LOL

Maybe there are too many fast food places for today’s labor market? It will sort itself out.

Maybe there are too many “fast food” places now that virtually every restaurant with more appealing food can offer online ordering, home delivery, in-store pickup, etc.

Mike

The more things change …

Newspaper clippings making the rounds and verified by https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nobody-wants-to-work-anymo…

2022: “1 in 5 executive leaders agree with this statement: ‘No one wants to work.’”
2014: “What has happened to the work ethic in America? Nobody wants to work anymore. It has not always been that way.”
2006: “It almost seems like nobody wants to work anymore”
1999: “Their Service Shoe Repair shop, at 649 Cleveland St., is for sale… But they don’t seem extremely optimistic about finding a buyer. “Nobody wants to work anymore,’”
1981: “I hired two boys to clear the rocks off this land last week. But they just fooled around. They didn’t want to work. Nobody wants to work anymore.”
1979: “Now, you ask any small businessman and he’ll tell you. I’m not lying. Nobody wants to work anymore.”
1969: “the upcoming Sunday segment is called “Nobody Wants to Work Anymore.””
1952: “I heard somebody say the other day that everybody was getting too darned lazy and nobody wants to work anymore. That’s the truth if I ever heard it.”
1940: “The trouble is everybody is on relief or a pension — nobody wants to work anymore.”
1937: “peach orchardists in York and Adams counties are complaining that, ‘Nobody wants to work anymore.’”
1922: “What is the cause of unemployment and hard times? The manufacturer and business men say it is because nobody wants to work anymore”
1916: “the reason for food scarcity is that nobody wants to work as hard as they used to”
1905: “Labor is scarce, high, and very unreliable. None want to work for wages.”
1894: “It is becoming apparent that nobody wants to work these hard times.”

3 Likes