Old boards - shutdown?

Any formal word on their shutdown? Still on for Nov 1, or do we have more time?

–Peter <== still frantically saving old threads for posterity

1 Like

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I went down memory lane last weekend and checked out the most recommended posts of all time (since 1/1/2000):

https://boards.fool.com/BestOf.asp?topwhat=rec&numofposts=25&folder=all&ticker=&span=from&from=01%2F01%2F00&to=10%2F31%2F22&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Worth a look.

I don’t know if anyone is paying attention, but it would be the stupidest possible decision to permanently take down the old boards. They could easily put them in read only mode, cache the generated pages to any object store, templatize them, and serve them statically, indefinitely at low cost. They have huge SEO value and they could milk ad impressions for years. That is ignoring the enormous intellectual value in all the posts and community goodwill. It’s just destructive and thoughtless.

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing it up, Peter. Putting this here for context:

@CMFMints Your effort is greatly appreciated. Thank you! We’re now past October and there’s a lot of panic and angst, so do you think you could provide any update on this?

1 Like

It looks like a done deal…

I’ve asked them to provide an update on it - I think sometime in the next week or two is the plan (I failed at the negotiation to get to the end of the year), but I don’t have an exact date. I would expect it by no later than Nov. 18th though from what I just heard.

1 Like