OT - Another day

OT - another day showing how dangerous our “overvalued, over-priced, overly expensive” stocks are. I just came back from a walk and discovered all the averages down for the day, and my portfolio up an incredible 5.08%!!! Up over 5% in one day!

This is truly OT so PLEASE don’t add to the thread unless you REALLY can’t restrain yourself.

Saul

39 Likes

I noticed that too! In fact I have been appreciating the lack of correlation our companies have had with the market recently. That is the only way to beat it after all!

Over the last two weeks I have been (more) actively identifying old holdings that no longer deserve a spot in my portfolio in an ongoing effort to focus. Over the weekend I finalized my plans to sell seven positions. All seven of these are down or flat today while every position I plan to move that money to upon selling is up. Of course one day is just noise, but this happens over time too, over and over again! What a drag!

I’m also not letting today’s market affect my plans to continue to buy. I find value in checking the market and my portfolio daily to feed my brain with data, but it is to build a long term intuition, not in an effort to find trading points. Guiltily, I have to admit that sometimes it can be a fun exercise too :wink:

4 Likes

Saul, I’m going to take advantage your one time ‘post if you REALLY can’t restrain yourself’ without wrath offer!

May 18th I was terminated from my 35.7 years on the job. I won’t bore with details but without you and this board it would have been a gut punch.
The reasons for termination were specious and I’ve been asked to come back in today by corporate HR.
Presumably to be called back since the plant HR had already fast tracked and sent me final termination notice a week ago.

Thanks to you and others like Muji and Gauchochris I was terminated with 12times annual salary in my retirement accounts. In the less than 4 weeks since I am up an additional 2 times my annual salary.

I’m very tempted to walk in to today’s rehire meeting and tell them no thanks. But ‘gift horses’ and all, and the chance to weather the next election cycle, not to mention buying a new Telluride just before termination I will accept the terms.

But the juicy OT I just must gush about is the incredible 109% I am up YTD as if this moment! Thank you, thank you, thank you! ALL of you guys in my core mentor group I literally owe you my financial independence. My love and admiration to you all!
Tim

149 Likes

Over the last two weeks I have been (more) actively identifying old holdings that no longer deserve a spot in my portfolio in an ongoing effort to focus. Over the weekend I finalized my plans to sell seven positions. All seven of these are down or flat today while every position I plan to move that money to upon selling is up. Of course one day is just noise, but this happens over time too, over and over again! What a drag!

I decided to respond to this post because coincidentally over the past several weeks I have been doing exactly the same thing. As is often the case I did not move fast enough and so today I confront some lost opportunities…

Is there a lesson in this? On the one hand I do not like making sudden large moves buy or sell. On the other hand , once you’ve determined your conviction level in a stock , in this case DOCU and FSLY it pays to move expeditiously. I missed good entry points and failed to fill out my planned commitment. Perhaps there will be another chance. And it may still be appropriate to consider adding at this juncture.

The lesson here is don’t dither. Do the research, make a decision and don’t waste time. And don’t worry about making a mistake. I think its preferable to make occasional mistakes that can be reversed without causing too much damage than to be ever cautious and fail to take timely action.

I imagine there are varying points of view on this subject.

Cheers

ps Saul, next time take a 10 minute walk.

19 Likes

Thanks so much Tim for your very kind words. It’s nice to hear that we do some real good in the world!

Remember though that the market does go down at times too, so consider strongly taking the job back. You can always decide to quit some time in the future, especially when you can withdraw from your IRA without penalty (age 59 and a half).

Best wishes,

Saul

18 Likes