OT: Become a Tax Aide Volunteer

This is the season where AARP Tax Aide volunteers begin to study for the approaching tax season.
Volunteer to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs.

It’s enjoyable to meet community members and learn about their lives while helping them do a necessary chore which is so hard for them but so easy for us. It’s humbling to meet people like the 93-year old who brought her W-2 from her job at the Goodwill store and a pleasure to find that she qualified for an Earned Income Tax Credit, a “gift” which she thanked me for as if I was the one who gave it to her.

For those who believe in social justice, think about the other countries whose governments provide citizens with their tax forms already filled in. Strike a blow against the tax preparation companies that lobby against this in the U.S. by helping people do their taxes.

It benefits volunteers, also, because we are trained on the latest tax laws every year.
Wendy

9 Likes

My wife did that one year. It was a real eye-opener into the lives of the poor who constituted most of the people she helped.

3 Likes

Hey Wendy -

Thank you! It’s great that you volunteer your time and talents to help others!

I don’t mind doing simple taxes (I’ve done many friend & family returns for a number of years) and I would probably enjoy doing this volunteer work as well.

Unfortunately, my volunteering calendar is pretty full already with SCORE.org mentorship, Board seat at the local Chamber of Commerce and sitting on the local Economic Development Commission.

Volunteering is very rewarding and I hope more Fools offer their time and talents to volunteering as well!!

Thanks again!

Best ~
'38Packard

3 Likes