OT: Get well soon to METARs

Get well soon to Qaz, pauleckler, UpNorthJoe and iampops5. Sympathy for past dings to wecoguy and texirish. Good thing you guys are tough – those sound like some pretty hard whacks. Not to mention the expense of the ER care and dental work.

Wendy

8 Likes

What Wendy said I say too. Watch your noggins because all you all (as well as your opinions and factual contributions) are valuable to me!

Mom and grandma both started practicing for “being old” when they were in their 60’s so as to establish good habits for when they would really need them. They ALWAYS used bannisters, wore hats that did not limit visibility but provided protection from bangs, and when doing gardening and chores that involved objects overhead wore bicycle or construction helmets. Both made it past 90, and mom almost made it to 100.

david fb

5 Likes

Thanks You, WendyBG, appreciate the well wishes.
I’ve been getting knocked around my whole life, lol, a chipped tooth is not big deal.
Still got employee-retirement dental, so cost will be minimal.

Too bad I couldn’t send a gap toothed grin picture to METAR’s Canadian representative
( Tim ), maybe I’d get an honorary membership into the brotherhood of all hockey
players with missing/chipped teeth, lol.
( nah, am not worthy, nobody is tougher than hockey players,lol, I’m not in the same
class as those guys and gals )

1 Like

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Thanks You, WendyBG, appreciate the well wishes.
I’ve been getting knocked around my whole life, lol, a chipped tooth is not big deal.
Still got employee-retirement dental, so cost will be minimal.

( nah, am not worthy, nobody is tougher than hockey players,lol, I’m not in the same
class as those guys and gals )

Chuckle, since you mention Hockey.

https://www.google.com/search?q=world+championship+hockey+20…

Tim <managed to dislocate a shoulder playing infantry company level hockey in Germany at 18, decided maybe I better stick with my primary career>

OT - I went to church today!!!

Don’t get excited, my 14 YO Catholic granddaughter was getting her Confirmation and daughter assured me I didn’t have to wear a tie. Damn those services go on forever!

4 Likes

Mom and grandma both started practicing for “being old” when they were in their 60’s so as to establish good habits for when they would really need them.

Best defense against falling at any age is taking Yoga. Really helps with flexibility and balance. If you don’t want to go that far, get in the habit of slightly raising one foot off the ground as you wait for something. It’s crazy how many muscles you use to keep one foot even an inch off the ground.

IP

3 Likes

“Best defense against falling at any age is taking Yoga. Really helps with flexibility and balance. If you don’t want to go that far, get in the habit of slightly raising one foot off the ground as you wait for something. It’s crazy how many muscles you use to keep one foot even an inch off the ground.”

balancing on 1 foot is a great habit to get into. Even better than static-balance on 1 foot is
dynamic balance on 1 foot. XC ( cross country ) skiing is my sport of choice, and the better
a skier can balance on 1 foot while in motion ( gliding ), the more efficient and faster they
can get around the ski trail. I train balance year round, I use roller ski’s on tarmac, and a lot
of exercises like 1 legged squats to keep and improve balance.

Dynamic balance on 2 legs is really good for people,too. I’ve never surfed, but do stand up
paddle boarding ( sup ), and that really activates the core and the legs. I’m kind of in awe
of surfers just from watching videos, they are amazing athletes, and fearless,too.

There are a lot of things people can do to help them navigate old age, no matter where they
live or what they enjoy, it’s all good. Motion is lotion, too.

Yes on yoga and “soft on joints” sports like x-country skiing, sane dancing, and also mild weightlifting or equivalents.

And let me double down on doing stairs instead of elevators for up to three to five or so flights, depending on how ambitious you are, and walking on sandy beaches and the like. Mom lived in her three floor condo all the way to the end, and every time she went up or down she was doing the “lift a foot while balancing on the other” exercise while keeping body strength and cardio fitness.

I live in a one floor home, but my stairs exerciser and “playground” (the dog and cat insisting on going every day) is a beautiful pastoral river valley 100 feet down a bluff below me. I plan to keep walking it until dead.

david fb

1 Like

And let me double down on doing stairs instead of elevators for up to three to five or so flights, depending on how ambitious you are, and walking on sandy beaches and the like. Mom lived in her three floor condo all the way to the end, and every time she went up or down she was doing the “lift a foot while balancing on the other” exercise while keeping body strength and cardio fitness.

If you’re in a tall building, I recommend elevator down, stairs up.

Going UP stairs is more exercise for your muscles - you’re lifting your own weight. The more the muscles do that (up to a point), the better they get at it.

Going DOWN stairs is harder on the joints. The more your knees hips and ankles take a pounding, the less they’re able to take a continued pounding.

1 Like

sane dancing

What would insane dancing be?

IP
curious

What would insane dancing be?

Mom and Dad were devoted crazed Lindyhoppers (and mountaineers, skiers, and long distance runners), Mom from her teenage days into her late 70s.

This sequence deserves the name “insane”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJReiCaPk

david fb

2 Likes