OT: Market crash

The long running theme in this board is valuations are high and market will crash anytime soon. Extremely valued high-growth, no earning, meme stocks have come down. Many are expecting Fed will tighten their balance sheet, rate hikes are coming and that will bring the valuation down.

Looking back, from 2008, the Fed balance sheet didn’t come down, rather every time folks expected Fed is going to change direction, only to see after few months they continued the easy money policy. Of course, things cannot continue beyond a level and what level is being tested a lot lately. I think, the operating assumption of rate hikes, Fed balance sheet reduction, may play out, but not necessarily to the extent market expects. That is Fed’s action may be short of market expectation.

Why is that important? If that is the case, expect the valuations not to shrink much. Don’t wear your CAPE’s a be a hero. Just a follower, follow the market price.

2 Likes

“I think, the operating assumption of rate hikes, Fed balance sheet reduction, may play out, but not necessarily to the extent market expects.”

Who knows but I tend to agree with you but even if there are 4 slow and steady rate hikes along with solid earnings, that seems pretty reasonable imo.

Was doing some rereading and appreciated WEB’s thoughts from the 2019 report:

“What we see in our holdings, rather, is an assembly of companies that we partly own and that, on a weighted basis, are earning more than 20% on the net tangible equity capital required to run their businesses. These companies, also, earn their profits without employing excessive levels of debt.
Returns of that order by large, established and understandable businesses are remarkable under any circumstances. They are truly mind-blowing when compared to the returns that many investors have accepted on bonds over the last decade – 21/2% or even less on 30-year U.S. Treasury bonds, for example.

Forecasting interest rates has never been our game, and Charlie and I have no idea what rates will average over the next year, or ten or thirty years. Our perhaps jaundiced view is that the pundits who opine on these subjects reveal, by that very behavior, far more about themselves than they reveal about the future.

What we can say is that if something close to current rates should prevail over the coming decades and if corporate tax rates also remain near the low level businesses now enjoy, it is almost certain that equities will over time perform far better than long-term, fixed-rate debt instruments.

That rosy prediction comes with a warning: Anything can happen to stock prices tomorrow. Occasionally, there will be major drops in the market, perhaps of 50% magnitude or even greater. But the combination of The American Tailwind, about which I wrote last year, and the compounding wonders described by Mr. Smith, will make equities the much better long-term choice for the individual who does not use borrowed money and who can control his or her emotions. Others? Beware!“

10 Likes

The long running theme in this board is valuations are high and market will crash anytime soon.

Strawman. If not, show me the post that says that.

I think it is closer to the truth to say that the long running theme in this board is valuations are high and forward returns will not be great.

17 Likes

Strawman.

You can search yourself. The easiest way to look at this is, the confidence of the board participants that Berky will beat SPY. Why? They are not only counting on Berky will produce 10% returns like clockwork, but SPY valuation is so high and it has to come down (market decline).

The only reason you consider my statement as strawman is to pick some silly argument. I am not interested in it.