OT printer support rant

I have been buying ink for the Canon I found in the trash at Office Max. Mosied through the electronics department at the grocery store tonight. Found the grocery store carries ink for it too, but the carts were on the bottom row of the pegboard, which usually indicates a low demand item.

Started to wonder just how old this printer is. No information plate on it that I can find that might have a date on it. Looked for a review of it by a computer mag. Found one, from 2010.

Looked on the Canon site to see if they have Win 11 drivers for it. Nope. But then, Canon doesn’t have Win 11 drivers for current production printers either, so that isn’t conclusive.

Steve

1 Like

You do seem to lead an interesting life.

JimA

6 Likes

Entertainment is where you find it. :^)

So, unless/until Canon makes a Win 11 driver for it, I have an incentive to stay with Win 10 until the printer goes toes up. That means spending less money. Yippee!

Steve

So, unless/until Canon makes a Win 11 driver for it,

Found a list of printers that work on Win 11 on the Canadian Canon site. My model was listed, with an asterisk.

The footnote for the asterisk:

* indicates it worked on initial release of Windows 11, however an updated driver will not be produced going forward.

So Canon feels no obligation to support my printer. Not unexpected, considering it’s age.

Steve

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

JimA

Yeah, I’ve been trying to talk him into laser printers and buying refilled toner cartridges for years.

Meanwhile my rather busy daughter (the lawyer/diplomat) has been taking a photography course and her hubby asked her prof what the best printer was for the type of stuff he is talking. The prof admitted he was saving up his money to buy some inkjet with about 20 cartridges ultra beautiful printing and a price tag similar to a small car. SIL promptly ordered one on his phone (in front of the Prof he likes to show off that way!) and I got the call to set it up for her on Saturday.

There is no helping for some people.

Tim

1 Like

Meanwhile my rather busy daughter (the lawyer/diplomat) has been taking a photography course and her hubby asked her prof what the best printer was for the type of stuff he is talking. The prof admitted he was saving up his money to buy some inkjet with about 20 cartridges ultra beautiful printing and a price tag similar to a small car. SIL promptly ordered one on his phone (in front of the Prof he likes to show off that way!) and I got the call to set it up for her on Saturday.

Probably could have got a lifetime of prints from a service like Shutterfly.

PSU

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been trying to talk him into laser printers and buying refilled toner cartridges for years.

The Canon was free, found in the trash. Can’t beat that. And, with my usual uncanny timeliness, a week after I found the Canon, my 2008 vintage HP died. In all, a fortuitous turn of events.

The HP was becoming increasingly problematic anyway. The really nice utility package that HP had created for the printer stopped working last year, because it used Flash. The publisher of Flash had decided to stop supporting it, so set Flash apps on everyone’s computer to stop working. HP declined to create an equally nice utility package that did not use Flash. so I was stuck using a very crude substitute that HP threw together. Ink was also increasingly hard to find as 99% of the cartridges on eBay were expired, and I would rather not pay full boat for ink in a store.

I have a 20 year old Apollo (cheap Thai built HP) in the scrap pile that works perfectly fine, but ink has transmuted to unobtainium.

(insert standard “planned obsolescence” rant about printer manufacturers changing ink cartridge designs, so they can obsolete old cartridges, to force people to buy new printers, here)

Steve

1 Like

Probably could have got a lifetime of prints from a service like Shutterfly.

PSU

You missed the point? His cheap plick parents wouldn’t pay for his University so he started a small business selling fancy clocks at a kiosk in a mall. Now he owns a very large warehouse where several dozen 40’ sea containers are unloaded regularly and “stuff” is shipped to large retail chain stores (where he is a “preferred supplier”) all over North America. His big break came in 2008 when most of his competitors couldn’t get loans to set up at the big trade shows in US and he was invited to “C’mon down” (It’s not really down except on a wall map).

Now he rarely goes to his office in the warehouse preferring to work (very little) from his office at home. His staff have all been with him for a long time and are not going anywhere. He enjoys buying toys for himself, his wife (who makes a very good Federal salary but he recently bought her a Land Rover Defender PHEV) and my two rather spoiled granddaughters.

They no long do the trade show circuit as everything is on-line.

Tim

1 Like