O/t, thank you to the moderator of this board

For allowing a poster with the knowledge and expertise , to direct eyeballs away from Foolsville, to his site.

3 Likes

Shrewdm.com is doing the fool a service, allowing them to finally kill off the free boards. They should have had the guts to pull the plug instead of euthanizing the boards slowly through asphyxiation.

3 Likes

good morning, I think the Fools actually thought they were upgrading the experience. It’s like msft, they keep bugging me to upgrade to windows 11 for free. Many old people who are tech challenged just want to be left alone, lol. FREE, usually means I’m paying for the privilege in one way or another. Have a grand day.

2 Likes

My 2013 iMac is still chugging along just fine, but it is getting harder to keep software I use up to date. Too bad, this has been the most reliable and trouble free computer I’ve ever owned. I’ll probably have to upgrade eventually.

good morning, I think the Fools actually thought they were upgrading the experience. It’s like msft, they keep bugging me to upgrade to windows 11 for free. Many old people who are tech challenged just want to be left alone, lol. FREE, usually means I’m paying for the privilege in one way or another. Have a grand day.

I upgraded to the new Mac M1 desktop in 2022, replacing my 2007 iMac. Now, that’s longevity! I love the new Mac. I upgraded it to max ram for future proofing. I didn’t even take the old iMac to the recycling center at Best Buy. I cleaned out all the content with a factory restore, and put in the latest OS that it could support. I then reinstalled all my ripped music, because the speakers still sound good, if not better, than the new Mac. Secondly, I had discs that I bought cheaply when I was in China 6 years ago for several Rosetta Stone languages. I reinstalled them because they were only compatible with the older OS on my vintage Mac, and not the new Mac. I’m not paying hundreds of dollars to Rosetta Stone to upgrade on the new Mac when the old stuff works just fine. There is no internet connection to my old Mac now so no security patches needed or worries about malware on non-supported software.

So, there it sits, in a corner…a mini language lab with a music library and speakers…Still purrs…still boots up with minor delays….no swirling beach ball, and no oil change or extended maintenance needed, at least for now, on my trusty ol’2007 vintage Mac. :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Is this the Mac mini? If so, did you have to buy a separate monitor? I sure like my 27" imac.

No it’s not the Mac mini. [Correction - it’s the 24 inch]. I’m locked into the eco system even as a retired senior at age 68 with modest consumer needs. I have the iPad, iPhone and Mac. I’m convinced Apple sucked me into their world, beginning circa 1997, with all kinds of user friendly apps and tasks that eventually become so indispensable over time that you can’t withdraw from it. It’s insidious and to leave that eco-system would require a lot of willpower. I was at the movies last night with a bag of M&Ms…I couldn’t just have a handful. I ended up eating the whole damn bag. That’s what the addiction feels like when you buy an Apple product. Buffett was on to something when he noticed his grandkids impervious to the world around them while tapping out text on their iphones.

I was under the impression that Apple never made a 27" iMac with an M1 processor. Maybe you have a 24"?

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct. My bad. It’s the 24 inch. They enlarged the screen it seems from my older Mac by minimizing the bezel so it’s looks much wider to me. I don’t know why I had 27 inch in my head.