OT - Thanks

I noticed something tonight. I’m behind in reading news on my companies. I’ve been more busy than normal the last few days, and FSLY has taken up a big chunk of time. I had intended to spend some time “researching” all my current holdings tonight, but I ended up on the board reading EVERY SINGLE WORD OF EVERY POST. And I stayed up later than I wanted doing it. What struck me tonight is how much I value what all of you have written. I have so much information from so many sources that I’m trying to get through every week, that I find myself quickly skimming through most news articles. Sometimes I’ll read the whole thing - but it’s rare. 80% of the time I skim for the main points and move on. What I noticed tonight on this board is that I don’t skim. (well, I do skim some entries on companies I know I’m not really interested in). But with FSLY, there has probably been 100 posts now, AND I HAVE READ EVERY SINGLE ONE. SLOWLY. DEEPLY. TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT EACH PERSON WAS SAYING.

SO VALUABLE!!!

Gracias amigos.

FWIW - after reading all input, I’m more solidly on the side of keeping the 5% position I still have. I’m still hoping muji or Peter will publish some thoughts on this as I value their perspective.

I will also point out that ARK (one of the best tech funds there is) bought big amounts of FSLY on both Thursday and Friday - and it was their first purchase ever of FSLY. Their first purchase ever of NET was on Monday. I think they bought about twice as much FSLY as they did NET. I watch their purchases pretty closely, and they don’t buy stuff to flip it in a week. They are visionary and invest for future trends. I don’t make my decisions based on them, but it’s just one more data point to consider.

From everything I’ve read “Edge” is growing fastly. NET and FSLY are the leaders in the space. I’m not sure which will be the biggest winner. Right now, I have roughly equal amounts of both. If it becomes more clear that one of them will dominate, I’ll invest more in that company. For now, I don’t feel like I have enough data to make that call - so I’m currently planning to stay in both.

31 Likes

Here is Seeking Alpha article about ARK and their holdings and YTD’s.

ARKW: Big Returns On Disruptive Tech Investments

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4379525-arkw-big-returns-on…

Any other year or time their results and buying FSLY might be convincing . . . to me. . . but their results for this year are only half of Saul et al’s YTDs. And the main one they talk about, “ARK Next Generation Internet ETF (NYSEARCA:ARKW) +101%” does not have any of the same stocks as Saul now that he sold FSLY.

Them buying FSLY doesn’t sound like a reason to hold if thinking like Saul.
Their biggest position is TSLA. She sounds like a very interesting person but I think it looks like one could throw a rock over their shoulder and hit a gainer these days.

6 Likes

She sounds like a very interesting person but I think it looks like one could throw a rock over their shoulder and hit a gainer these days.

This is already OT, but I can’t help but feel that this comment is a put-down of a very successful female investor. Must be as easy as throwing a rock over one’s shoulder! I feel sad when I see leading women in the space get hyper-criticized or their accomplishments minimized.

66 Likes

Let’s see if I can defend what I said as being on topic and non-sexist.

After miles and miles of good discourse over FSLY hold/buy/sell AnalogKid made an incredible on topic post that summarized all these threads and also suggested another hold/buy/sell reason. Hail fellow well met! I read “OT” as “On Topic”.

I simply disagreed based on all the portfolios and YTD’s for this year that I am familiar with.

I also added a very relevant link for understanding the ARK portfolios and what they consisted of, something “on topic” by being very useful to this board.

That is all my reply was.

Respectfully,
MoneySlob

10 Likes

Understand you MoneySlob. Surely though this has run its course by now. Some will stay in and hope to see Shop returns in the next few years and others have simply moved onto diversify elsewhere.

Who is right? Time will tell. Regardless, as Saul stated, he could well be very wrong here and can always get back in at a later stage when the dust settles or if there was actually any dust there in the first place but some of us possibly got more in our eye than we bargained for and just want to immediately see a little better.

Fwiw,I sold out for a 170% gain as being relatively late to the party and actually banked 70% and added to Zm(7th time) and Docu(3rd time).

Replying to MoneySlob

“After miles and miles of good discourse over FSLY hold/buy/sell AnalogKid made an incredible on topic post that summarized all these threads and also suggested another hold/buy/sell reason. Hail fellow well met! I read “OT” as “On Topic”.”

• Sorry if I used the wrong abbreviation - I thought “OT” meant “Off Topic”. I thought my post was off topic and was trying to identify it as such. I mostly wanted to express thanks.

With regard to your statements on ARK, I would encourage you to look beyond this year in your analysis.

https://etfdb.com/compare/highest-5-year-returns/

This link gives a list of the 100 best performing ETFs for the last 5 years. ARK funds are # 1, 2, 3, and 6. In the US there are around 2,000 ETF’s. ARK has 4 of the top 6 spots over 5 years… (NOTE - when you follow that link you might need to “click” to filter out the leveraged ETF’s in the list) Do they match Saul’s performance? No. But they are managing billions and can not run a concentrated portfolio like he can.

I’m not an expert on them, but from what I have read, they are VERY highly regarded.

As I said before, no one should make an investing decision based solely on the fact that ARK bought FSLY and NET. However, I think it’s similar to how we evaluate companies based on what other trusted sources are saying/buying - like Bert, Peter, muji, Saul, Bear, etc… We combine input from trusted sources with our own analysis to make a decision. The more “good” sources of information, the better IMHO. When one of the best performing fund manages buys big chunks of a stock for the first time, I take note.

21 Likes

Very good. Thank you.
I will be looking forward to anything you write.
I might learn something.

1 Like

Replying to MoneySlob.

Thanks for the kind words, but much like AThinkingFool, I am a novice compared to most here. I probably post more than I should. I hope some of what I post is helpful, but bear in mind that I am still in the early stages of learning. I’ve been “investing” for 30 years, but only got serious about it in the last 2 years. Now, I’m kind of like an addict :wink: I spend all my free time on it and am learning a lot - but I just want to make sure it’s clear that I am far from an expert.

Peace

2 Likes