Photo sorting software?

I am glad the Motley Fool didn’t close this board. It has been so helpful to me. So, I am looking for suggestions on photo sorting software. I just deal with photos for my own personal use… photo books, and some other random stuff. Nothing too fancy. Just looking for recommendations for software to use. Right now I use Windows Live photo Gallery on a PC. I am trying to sort the photos I have and it seems there are a bunch of duplicates. Is there some way to just find all the duplicates without me getting different photo sorting software? Thanks for any tips.

Right now, I am just doing basic stuff with making file folders in Windows Live photo gallery and dragging the photos into the appropriate folder. (yes - very basic) So, just looking for any help you may suggest. Thanks!

Footsox

1 Like

Sorry guys. I forgot another part of my question… When I import my photos from my iphone X, onto my Windows computer, it shows a date – Is that the date I am importing the photos? Or is that the date I took the photos? Sorry again to be so dense…

Footsox

When I import my photos from my iphone X, onto my Windows computer, it shows a date – Is that the date I am importing the photos? Or is that the date I took the photos?

I just looked at the last folder of images (.jpg files) I copied from my iPhone to my Windows computer. I chose a JPEG file that showed a date in File Manager of "3/6/2022 5:08 PM). I right-clicked on the file.

Under the General tab:
Created: ?Wednesday, ?March ?16, ?2022, ??10:02:13 AM
Modified: ?Monday, ?March ?7, ?2022, ??3:05:45 AM
Accessed: ?Today, ?July ?13, ?2022, ??7:39:14 PM

Under the Details tab, along with a host of details that includes the GPS info:
Date taken 3/6/2022 5:08 PM

1 Like

The file was modified before it was created?

Thanks for bringing attention to the details tab. Which of those things takes priority? When I go to my Windows Live photo Gallery. There are several folders. Most have a date before the folder title… Is that date of when the photos were taken?

Also, can someone tell me, if I move a group of photos, outside of the Window’s Live Photo Gallery, say, I move them to a folder on my desktop… do those photos STAY in the Windows Live Photo Gallery also? Because I am searching for them in the gallery thing, then they come up there also, even if I moved them into a folder just on my desktop? Thanks for any info. I appreciate it.

Footsox

I can only make guesses. The date by the folder can be either the folder creation date or the last folder access date. For folders that have been used, the date should be the latter indicating that files within that folder were accessed or modified.

With windows especially, there are special folders that are meant to help with organization and finding things. Windows Live Photo Gallery could be one of those. If so, the photos you see there are not actually in the gallery but are links to where the photos actually reside. Click or view the links and you are shown the photos as if they are in that folder. When you move photos to another folder, these links are updated so that the photos still ‘appear’ to be in the Gallery. Mark this as a big guess on my part as I know nothing about this specific special folder, but that is how others work (as told by a non-computer professional, me).

glh