Poll: In a coming recession...

In a coming recession should the US apply…

• Mostly supply side economic policies…
  • Mostly demand side economic policies…
  • We wont have a recession
  • I do not know what any of this means
  • A mix of policy? Explain

0 voters

I have almost a liter of supply AND demand right here in my pants.

david fb

1 Like

I have almost a liter of supply AND demand right here in my pants.

Not quite a litter?

The Captain

1 Like

Monetary policy

1 Like

Monetary policy

Because that’s worked so famously well in the past?

2 Likes

Not quite a litter?

Nah, that’s for my next reincarnation when I come back in some universe or other as something like a berserker Viking woman warrior rather than merely a twisted gay Californian surfer who wants the “pants” option included in each and every poll because without that option the poll author too easily falls into a dictator/idiot role flattering author and insulting the community.

E.G., I like you Leap, mostly agree with you on substantial matters, but you have sharp elbows and little grace, and your polls are mostly ignored because they are, well, argumentary rather than inquisitive.

david fb

11 Likes

david fb,

Sharp elbows are underrated.

They work quite well at cutting through other people pumping themselves up based on crap.

david fb,

Just to add, I am on ignore by people who think the Keystone is an absolute must. Their opinion is not worth anything at that point. Remember I am being ignored by them. I read some of their stuff.

What that means is I get less attendance. Trying to apologize for being against the Keystone is simple unelbowed terms is not even what they are after.

The people against the Keystone pipeline do not band together on the like button every time someone makes a smart statement. Those folks, myself included, take being intelligent for granted.

Mix of policy or just stay steady. Some of what we are experiencing was some ‘overfunding’ during the pandemic. But doing nothing was not an option, so we used our blunt tools and our supply chain underbelly was exposed. Then Russia invaded Ukraine, and oil = energy, fertilizer, and food = food and now we are trying to put on the brakes, while driving downhill.

But Life contains some…“suffering.”

In economic terms - recession or depression. Some recessions aren’t like others…

Don’t run from it. A heavy hand on the wheel, the gas, the brakes, or downshifting won’t really help, because we want the market to sort some things out. Running from economic shifts and weather just makes things weird if not bad.

Stick to fiscal and monetary policy that doesn’t lead to inflation, doesn’t outspend our capacity to pay, a fair legislature and judiciary that doesn’t allow one group to take unfair advantage of the legal or economic system, goals that lead to long-term sustainable growth, don’t poison the environment, maybe work on our supply chain and infrastructure a bit, move renewable fuels up the priority list, set us up to have a decent future…

But don’t try to avoid the occasional bad weather. Do get a raincoat.

Cheers,

Bill

3 Likes

But don’t try to avoid the occasional bad weather. Do get a raincoat.

Bill

Reminds me of this quote:

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”

? William Arthur Ward

gcr

Nah, that’s for my next reincarnation when I come back in some universe or other as something like a berserker Viking woman warrior rather than merely a twisted gay Californian surfer who wants the “pants” option included in each and every poll because without that option the poll author too easily falls into a dictator/idiot role flattering author and insulting the community.

Nice reply!

The Captain

2 Likes

Reminds me of this quote:

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”

? William Arthur Ward

The problem with central bankers, politicians, and other central planners is that they oversteer – just like novice sailors do.

The Captain

Just to add, I am on ignore by people who think the Keystone is an absolute must. Their opinion is not worth anything at that point.

You talking’ 'bout that guy from Canada?

Fuhgeddaboudit!

He has half of TMF on ignore for disagreeing with him.

I try to keep in mind that TMF is a Moot Court where we fight tooth and nail to the death over minutiae that will have exactly zero effect on the real world.

8 Likes