Poll: Vitamin D supplementation

Are you taking Vitamin D supplements on a regular basis?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I voted yes. My PCP and BIL suggest 1000 or 2000 IU no testing needed for blood levels.

It is beneficial, perhaps. We will never really know. Each person is different. None of us are on a stats table.

I take 5,000 I.U. per day. When I’m deficient, I feel a wave of “terribleness” (depression and weakness) wash over me. That’s how I titrate the dose.
Wendy

1 Like

Sunshine!

If you eat healthy and are healthy*, supplements are a waste of money.

Need potassium? Don’t buy supplements. Buy low sodium salt in the supermarket and save money.

The Captain
had an avocado sprinkled with low sodium salt as part of his breakfast

• Note the ‘are healthy’ disclaimer before you complain. If sick, follow doctor’s orders or change doctors.
4 Likes

Wendy:

Balloons, Balloons, Balloons!!!

Happy anniversary!

The Captain

1 Like

I voted yes. My PCP and BIL suggest 1000 or 2000 IU no testing needed for blood levels.

I again highly encourage testing during your next lab visit, so that you can make an informed decision wrt your need for supplementation. I know we were shocked at how low ours were. Remember that there is a difference between deficiency levels, which were developed for bone health, and optimal levels, which have much to do with your diabetes, depression, cancer, immune system and so much more. If it were only about bones, I would not be taking it since my bones have tested very strong via Dexa scans.

It is beneficial, perhaps. We will never really know.

That’s the position a science skeptic takes, and I did not get that sense from you from earlier posts. Here’s a whole page of studies on vitamin D and insulin resistance: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27932304/ (I did not read them as my point was that it is being studied in many ways, not to present conclusions, but figured you could be interested in that specific application.)

Science and knowledge of our bodies is constantly evolving. Without a pharmaceutical rep to push the developments, this new found knowledge often gets undiscovered by very busy doctors. You have to be an active participant in your own healthcare if you want the best healthcare. This is particularly important given: “Each person is different.”

FWIW,

IP

4 Likes

Need potassium? Don’t buy supplements. Buy low sodium salt in the supermarket and save money.

In the US this is about the only way to get a decent amount of potassium supplements. And for good reason as too much potassium can interfere with your heart function. I basically make my own sugar free sports drinks with low salt and lemon juice. We sweat out too many electrolytes. From time to time I don’t take enough during the day and will be woken from a deep sleep with muscle cramps. A bit of low salt on the tongue washed down with water and the cramps go away instantly.

Use potassium supplementation with caution and extreme moderation.

IP

WBG,

22 years on the FOOLS not too bad.

But got ya’ beat.

OTF

It is beneficial, perhaps. We will never really know.

That’s the position a science skeptic takes, and I did not get that sense from you from earlier posts.

IP,

The position is my BIL's. I have just heard it enough in discussions with him that it sums up the relationship between the individual in the clinical setting and the stats results in the lab. It also sums up research results that create a specific new piece of information that is fully disjointed from conclusions about other matters that could be pertinent.

He is an MD/Ph.D in endocrinology. He is Harvard faculty. He has a major very productive lab in Boston with a major hospital. He has money from the Broad Institute. He is head of his department of endocrinology in Boston.

He is the first person to admit when he does not know something.

I have larger problems with people who do know something.

It is an interesting paradox.
1 Like

A bit of low salt on the tongue washed down with water and the cramps go away instantly.

Worked for me as well. Now that I use low sodium salt more often I don’t get cramps any more.

The Captain

1 Like

I prefer not to post personal information, but I will say that my doctor has been testing patients for it for quite a while now, even B.C.

1 Like

If you eat healthy and are healthy*, supplements are a waste of money.

Not always so but usually a good rule of thumb.

Voted Yes on Vit D supplementation but only after having my lab checked.

JLC - who eats healthy and is extremely healthy

2 Likes