Poll: War with Russia...

What does uour crystal ball say?

• No, Putin is having fun bluffing around and jerking our chains
  • Yes, Putin wants to bankrupt the US
  • Put this poll in the “too hard box”
  • Not to worry…

0 voters

Putin is not interested in goofing or wants/ can put American in Bankruptcy. What he truly wants is, establishing “Russian Kingdom”, to be called Czar Putin, want to be known in the history as the one who established modern Russian empire.

2 Likes

All said and done, Russia has been successful in getting Crimea back and now can subdue Ukraine and bite chunks of its flesh off at will.

US has not won a single war since WWII except the first Gulf war. Korea was a stalemate, Viet Nam, Iraq II, Afghanistan were all defeats.

OTOH they have successfully encircled Russia and China with friendly countries like the Baltic states, Poland, Japan, S Korea. Make of that what you will.

2 Likes

Europe’s dependence on Russian Oil and Gas is a serious geopolitical blunder. Given all the wars Europe went through, yet their dependence on Russia for critical energy is beyond comprehension. I wonder how the heck Europeans in the past managed to conquer most of the world.

4 Likes

Damn Putin…

1 Like

Do you think the the Russian ICBMs have been maintained?

My crystal ball says, “no”.

But of course have not asked the magic 8 ball.

Not a funny situation, not at all.

:^(

Do you think the the Russian ICBMs have been maintained?

My crystal ball says, “no”.

Looking around at our roads, bridges, electric grid, and other infrastructure, I wouldn’t assume that our ICBMs have been maintained all that well either.

'38Packard

2 Likes

38Packard,

You sound logical.

:^(

I wouldn’t assume that [US] ICBMs have been maintained all that well either.

I did read something about that recently.

The systems are well maintained, and the missiles themselves are very up to date.
But they are a little worried about the longevity of the 8" floppy drives the control systems use.
(yes, seriously)

Jim

5 Likes

In 2019:

“…The Defense Department has transitioned away from a 1970s-era nuclear command and control system that relied on eight-inch floppy disks. The “modernizing” effort was quietly completed in June…”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/us/nuclear-weapons-floppy…

8 Likes

Looking around at our roads, bridges, electric grid, and other infrastructure, I wouldn’t assume that our ICBMs have been maintained all that well either

I suppose you know how much we spend on Military budget vs infrastructure? Even in the current “infrastructure bill”, infrastructure only gets $110 B.

US ICMB’s are regularly tested. The entire launch sequence is drilled regularly.

2 Likes

This is just a meme to continue to get the funding. US Military has one of the best technologies. ICMB’s are upgraded with technology, where in the event of GPS take down they can switch to alternate guiding systems.

US Military has capability to hit anywhere in the world within few square meter accuracy. No it is not dependent on floppy drives.

2 Likes

<<This is just a meme to continue to get the funding. US Military has one of the best technologies. ICMB’s are upgraded with technology, where in the event of GPS take down they can switch to alternate guiding systems.>>

It’s not so much about funding or new technologies, but about reliability. The old ones had been tested and deemed reliable, any new technology needs a lengthy test period and few like to take the responsibilities.

"…The Defense Department has transitioned away from a 1970s-era nuclear command and control
system that relied on eight-inch floppy disks. The “modernizing” effort was quietly completed in June…"

Good to hear.
Probably not entirely unrelated to the articles mocking them.

I used to use 8" floppies daily.
The good thing about them was their very robustness: the density was so low that if you squinted you could see the individual bits.

Jim
(that was a joke, though maybe with very fine iron filings…)

6 Likes

their dependence on Russia for critical energy is beyond comprehension

No doubt.

Right up there in with the fact that the administration has declared war against U.S. domestic oil and natural gas production, yet allows the shortfall to then be imported from Russia. (I guess the climate fanatics don’t understand that CO2 produced in the Russia and burned in the U.S. has the exact same greenhouse effects as that produced domestically).

3 Likes

US has not won a single war since WWII except the first Gulf war. Korea was a stalemate, Viet Nam, Iraq II, Afghanistan were all defeats.

Tragic, but true. Especially for those who lost their life or were gravely wounded in these failed efforts.

In personal life, the wise person avoids physical confrontations at all cost. One should only engage in combat if there is absolutely no alternative, and then one should be brutal and win, whatever it takes. Our country needs to adopt this mindset with the military.

In personal life, the wise person avoids physical confrontations at all cost. One should only engage in combat if there is absolutely no alternative, and then one should be brutal and win, whatever it takes. Our country needs to adopt this mindset with the military.

This opens the question of should a country with nuclear weapons that is losing the combat exercise the Sampson Option and destroy the whole world to avoid technically losing?

King James Bible
“For what shall it profit a man,
if he shall gain the whole world,
and lose his own soul?” – Mark 8:36

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, the US did win the Grenada War in 1983. And the Panama War (or invasion, if you prefer) in 1989. :wink:

1 Like

A girlfriend of mine retired from the AF, about 10 years ago.

One of her tours of duty was in a Montana missle silo.

She would have launched the missles if ordered to do so, because ahe said, “that order would imply that Russia had launched their missles first”.

She said, “If they start it, we will finish it”.

DAMN PUTIN🤬

1 Like

https://discussion.fool.com/political-asylum-113502.aspx

Putin, Zelensky, Russia - it’s all there.