Putin Exit Strategy

CNN has a defense analyst on TV right now (Dan Rice) who says that the artillery attacks on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant have the goal of causing a meltdown and cloud of radioactive fallout.

Putin would then blame “Ukrainian Nazis” for the attack and use the disaster as an excuse to withdraw Russian forces. (Russian people would believe the lie.)

We live in interesting times.

intercst

5 Likes

Oh, boy, another talking head.
Thanks.
Wendy

and cloud of radioactive fallout…

Doubt they’ll blow it if/when Moscow is downwind.
Gee, have they moved the Doomsday Clock (Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists) forward from 100 seconds yet? To like ah, maybe 5 or 10?
And, of course, Taiwan is on the chess-board, too.
Politicians scampering about, etc.

Putin would then blame “Ukrainian Nazis” for the attack and use the disaster as an excuse to withdraw Russian forces. (Russian people would believe the lie.)

==============================================

Except that prevailing winds are toward the East into Russia. Russian people would not like that.

Jaak

1 Like

Except that prevailing winds are toward the East into Russia.

And yet the fallout map from Chernobyl is largely spread out to the west. Was that an anomaly?

https://vividmaps.com/chernobyl-disaster/

DB2

2 Likes

I can’t get inside the head of a narcissistic madman like Putin. But he is a narcissistic madman.

Fear of a nuclear meltdown is one of my excuses for not deploying my excess cash during the recent run up in stock prices.

I can’t predict short term stock prices any better than I can predict the actions of a narcissistic madman. In fact, I see a lot of similarities. Hence, I remain hedged against uncertainty.

Although I bet Tim’s oil plays will continue to pay off for a few years.

3 Likes

It was worth it.

“Freedom!” “Ideals!” Principles!"

Yeah it was worth it.

Geez.

2 Likes

Dont fight the FED. The dollar will be appreciated for the rest of the decade.

Both of them have me on ignore. I guess questioning oil was too much.

Next low $60 bbl.

1 Like

And yet the fallout map from Chernobyl is largely spread out to the west. Was that an anomaly?

========================

About 70 percent of fallout landed in Belarus, 16 kilometers or 9.9 miles away. That is not the west it is the surrounding area and spreading northeast. Russia got a big chunk of the other 30 percent of the radioactive fallout. Rain is the biggest contributer to fallout besides the wind dispersion.

It was an anomaly - prevaling winds are to the east. Southern Ukraine prevailinng winds are also to the east.

Japan was so lucky that Fukushima vast majority of radiactive fallout was over the ocean due to prevailing winds and rain.

Jaak

1 Like

"Japan was so lucky that Fukushima vast majority of radiactive fallout was over the ocean due to prevailing winds and rain.

Jaak "

The Japanese living in Fukushima were not so lucky.

2 Likes

"Japan was so lucky that Fukushima vast majority of radiactive fallout was over the ocean due to prevailing winds and rain.

Jaak "

The Japanese living in Fukushima were not so lucky.

Howie

=========================================================================

They were lucky not to have the Chernobyl level of fallout come down on them and on Tokyo.

Jaak

2 Likes

They were lucky not to have the Chernobyl level of fallout come down on them and on Tokyo

While it’s true that the Fukushima radiation was released into the Pacific Ocean and Chernobyl’s radiation spread throughout Europe, the Chernobyl disaster released 5x radioactive waste compared to the Fukushima uncontrolled release.

Chernobyl the little I know was not responsibly built to begin with.

While it’s true that the Fukushima radiation was released into the Pacific Ocean and Chernobyl’s radiation spread throughout Europe, the Chernobyl disaster released 5x radioactive waste compared to the Fukushima uncontrolled release.

=================================

Reference please.

Jaak

Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

Easy call … though Nat gas is also a large part of it.

When GICs shut down Nuclear power and the wind and solar can’t fill the hole who yah gonna call? When POTUS symbolically cancels a pipeline that wasn’t going to get built anyway … but then the unwashed masses scream about high gas prices … well a million barrels a day from the strategic reserves suddenly becomes available and the cry goes out to the Northern neighbour to increase exports … which is when I bought a large whack of Suncor Energy on sale really cheap and now up a whole lot.

My port is mostly Canadian Banks, Oil and Gas pipelines, and a couple of large oil and gas producers.

OT - Would you believe my very generous federal government gave me a 10% raise (effective 1 Sept.) in one of my four pensions. Suspect the other three will also get a nice bump when the inflation index comes in at the end of the year?

Tim

3 Likes

Both of them have me on ignore. I guess questioning oil was too much.

May I humbly suggest questioning THEM was too much?

I’ve been proudly ignored by the Canadian guy for years 'cause I questioned him.

Desert (and I’m still right;-) Dave

1 Like