Problems with cruise lines

I was scheduled to go on a cruise to the Western Caribbean departing from Ft Lauderdale on Saturday, January 8th. The “Cruise with Confidence” policy of the cruise line allowed me to cancel and get a 100% future cruise credit as long as I cancelled 3 days before the cruise. In the past, the cruise line has given a more generous compensation, i.e. a choice of either a 100% refund or a 125% future cruise credit if THEY cancel, so I waited until Monday, January 3rd to cancel. I was told that the taxes would be refunded immediately, but I don’t see anything on my credit card statement. I was also told that the “future cruise credit” would be in the form of a certificate that would be issued in 30 business days.

Then I read that the Apex, which I was to sail on, was denied permission to dock in Nassau a few days before I would have boarded for the next cruise. I’ve been to Nassau, so they were doing passengers a favor ;o) That’s beside the point. The Apex never should have gone out again on Saturday, especially since the CDC has issued an advisory warning against sailing now.

Then, in the thread above, I read the accounts of how some people say they were treated if they tested positive during the cruise. Then I found this:
https://www.cruisehive.com/what-happens-if-you-test-positive…

I was NOT scheduled to cruise with Carnival, BTW. I’ve been on 12 cruises and I believed that the cruise line I was dealing with was trustworthy, until now.

To be fair, the cruise industry is in a terrible spot right now. If they cancel a cruise within a week of departure, people would be disappointed, and of course there would be a loss of revenue. But in this case, they have lost my trust. I will contact them re my credit and see if I can negotiate a refund instead. It’s a shame that I have to do this.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

It has only been 3 business days since Jan 3rd. It isn’t unusual for refunds to take at least a week.

2 Likes