RAM a ding dong

I realized during transferring data that this ACER my wife won needs at least 16 GB more RAM. I watched a couple of you tubes, but those ACERs are similar and warn not to buy the wrong RAM. I asked a local FB board where to go and only one recommendation for Geek Squad at Best Buy. I know I don’t know what I’m doing. Anyway here’s the specs and I’d appreciate any advice.

Device name LAPTOP-3B7HN39U
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20GHz 1.19 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.77 GB usable)
Device ID 15017F67-CFA4-4DFA-8837-7D9E219A5E9C
Product ID 00327-36248-69836-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 21H2
Installed on ?03/?06/?2022
OS build 22000.739
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

I forgot, it’s an ACER Aspire A514-53. :slight_smile:

Have you asked Acer?

1 Like

Lots of option. Best Buy can add/replace the memory.

Or you can DIY with memory from a variety of sources.

Crucial.com has you enter the make/model of computer and they tell you which of their memory work.

Or talk to a local PC shop and have them do it.

2 Likes

As a follow up to the mention of Crucial.com. Crucial offers a “scanner” that you download and run on your computer. It will identify the computer then suggest which RAM memory will work in your machine. (It also suggests solid state drives and external drive.)
The suggestions you get from the scanner are guaranteed to work in your system. Nice peace of mind.
Their prices used to be a bit higher than the rest, but they seem to be in line with everybody else now.
Used them many times.

2 Likes

One of the things you need to determine is how many memory slots your machine has and how many of them are full. That will determine whether you can simply add memory or will need to replace what is there with higher capacity sticks.

Have you asked Acer?

I take it there is a way to do that. I’ll look.

I realized during transferring data that this ACER my wife won needs at least 16 GB more RAM. I watched a couple of you tubes, but those ACERs are similar and warn not to buy the wrong RAM. I asked a local FB board where to go and only one recommendation for Geek Squad at Best Buy. I know I don’t know what I’m doing. Anyway here’s the specs and I’d appreciate any advice.

I ordered this machine I am running on from DELL with 32 GBytes of RAM. Later, I thought it better to double that. My solution was probably the most expensive, but safe. I ordered the other 32 GBytes of RAM from DELL.

My original RAM is 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 2933MHz RDIM M ECC Memory. Ram a lot like this but different but not ECC is available, but would probably not work right. And many different speeds are available. You sure do not want any slower than what you have in there already. If it is faster, it may work OK, but it would cost more.

I am certainly not saying you should get RAM from DELL, but I imagine it would be safe to get it from ACER. I would talk with their tech support department.

While buying RAM from the computer manufacturer is unlikely to go wrong, Crucial (mentioned already) has an excellent reputation, and they have always been my first and only place to buy memory.

3 Likes

I’ve been building computers and working on them for over a decade now. I’ve slowed down in recent years (work is too busy). I’ve seen it mentioned before, but I’ll add another nod for crucial. They’re about the only vendor that I trust for matching RAM for OEM pre-built systems (nearly all laptops).

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor#hero

Phaz

1 Like

Crucial has lifetime warranty unlike Dell. I had a Dell RAM stick go bad in a server 2 months passed warranty. I source with the lease amount and add crucial RAM after since they actually honor a lifetime warranty

2 Likes