ronjonh's departure

Earlier today, post #75474 “my last post on this board” by ronjonb was deleted. He first complimented this board as an investor, but as a techie gave curt reasons why he no longer was going to post here.
https://discussion.fool.com/my-last-post-on-this-board-34743882…
I did NOT find his post offensive at all, but apparently TMF ruled otherwise after receiving a complaint.

Rather than reiterate ronjonh’s curt, perhaps frustrated reasons, here’s what I believe he truly meant to say as previously given in his 12/3/2020 post here “What’s it worth?” with 150 recs:
https://discussion.fool.com/what39s-it-worth-34683943.aspx

I tried to stop myself from posting this many times but this time…( as I owe much of my financial success to this board.)

Some of the recent developments and posts in Saul’s board is hard to comprehend and trust; somewhat degenerating ( almost like the messages in the yahoo discussion boards.) It saddens me, that many of us who may have learned and earned so much from Saul is using this board as a stepping stone; a platform to venture into more lucrative channels ( mostly the newbie financial wizards on twitter.) There’s no dearth of financial wisdom on twitter ( specially ex post facto ). A few years back some of the sane voices I checked on twitter were @chamath, @naval etc. However, today you’ll find many guru’s spreading/sharing growth stock wisdom and investing (ad nauseam) perhaps learnt from this board! None of those bring any value perhaps except @chamath and @naval ( at-least to me).

If any of you care to check my history of posts in this board ( the only board that I post in MF and have been labeled as a Top Recommended Fool a few times.), I’ve laid out my perspectives from the point of view of a developer who has worked for two decades for some of the biggest names in the Software industry including MSFT. Around 2010, I was a pioneer in taking on-premises software to the cloud when SaaS wasn’t a household name ( trying to make sense if single tenant was better than multi tenant etc.) I was one of the guys who figured out how users of Microsoft active directory would use Azure Active directory ( which is being used by millions of users today.) Those were the times when it was so difficult to find a company to invest in the Cloud/SaaS space even if you wanted to. And OKTA happened to be one of those after many discussions/debates with some of my friends in the industry. Though I no longer hold OKTA today, it’s still one of my favorite.

The purpose of this post is to let you know that this board/Saul is special. I don’t have a Twitter account ( and don’t plan to create one ) but I assure to share with you my perspectives on the technology/SaaS space and what’s real vs the fluff.

My biggest holding today is CRWD and I’m happy to have posted this in October:
https://discussion.fool.com/thanks-for-the-write-up-ethan-here39…

Let’s try to keep this board special by bringing in great insights, values, profits!

Cheers!

ronjonb

Long <CRWD, DDOG, ZM, DOCU, FSLY, NET, SHOP, PTON, SNOW > and some SPACs.

Regarding his statement above If any of you care to check my history of posts in this board ( the only board that I post in MF and have been labeled as a Top Recommended Fool a few times.), I’ve laid out my perspectives from the point of view of a developer who has worked for two decades for some of the biggest names in the Software industry including MSFT, here’s all of his spot on 117 posts (except of course the deleted one) made here in less than year, 2/29/2020 - 2/4/2021. Click “Date” at the top right corner for listing from newest to oldest.
https://www.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=ronjonb&dataSour…

IMO, ronjonh’s departure is a huge loss for this board, especially his insightful “hands on” contributions regarding CRWD, NET, FSLY, DDOG and SNOW among others. I hope he reconsiders posting here again.

Regards,
Ray

166 Likes

I saw the post as well. I am not sure why he feels that way. I do understand why the board rules are in place, and I still can’t read all of the posts that happen each day. I value what ronjonb contributes, especially since he has more understanding of the technology than a layman like me has. Hopefully he reconsiders.

20 Likes

I am also a technologist with 20 years experience. I regularly use the products of the companies we invest in or technically assess them.

I’d love to know what ronjob’s reasons were. I have come to understand from this board that technology is important, but there is so much more to a business and this is reflected in the trend in the core numbers we follow.

Sometimes I don’t post the technical aspects as I remember one in particular I talked about MDB and Oracle in technical terms and why MDB would win even if it wasn’t the best tech. Saul responded he thought it was an MDB short seller post. Kind of put me off!

Thank you all and Saul for what you contribute to the board. It is an invaluable trove of historical and current information with total transparency. An increasingly rare find these days.

31 Likes