Rules of engagement

I remember a good friend and neighbor tell me about her cousin who moved from Russia to Israel and had the opportunity of serving in the Red Army and the Israeli defense forces. (And not at the same time)

He was called up to reserve duty in the IDF and was told they had new rules of engagement: that even if they are fired upon, not to return fire unless they felt their lives were in danger.

He told his superior officer that he could not do that because in the Red Army he was trained to always return fire, no matter what.

The IDF gave him a deferral and an appointment with the army psychiatrist who told him “don’t worry”.

These are strange times we live in.

1 Like

Wrong board?

10 Likes

I’ve been to Israel, as well as a ton of other countries. Israel’s main problem is that they are surrounded by nations that are hostile to them, and they are constantly under scrutiny by the media, and also President Obama.

The issue is that when Hezbollah launches a bunch of rockets into Israel, even if Israel returns fire and only kills the individuals that launched the rockets, they lose the PR battle. They’re under siege by civilians, much in the same way that US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have been experiencing. So even if you kill the people responsible, when they were a lawful combatant by firing at you, many times you are forced to apologize to your enemies. There are cases where both the US and Israel have been forced to pay - to make reparations - to the very people we’re fighting against, due to killing civilians that were firing at our soldiers. It’s an absolute mess.

4 Likes