Take it slow

There is probably no need to tell this crowd, but I just wanted to say there is no need to worry and panic over the international geopolitical issues, or domestic issues going on right now. We may well see some panic in the markets if people think a war will break out in the middle east, but we should be able to stay calm - in the long run what’s going to matter is whether our companies are able to grow revenues and profits, not whether there are a few concerns in a country half a world away.

I personally will look for deals on my watch list if things go ballistic - it could be a good time to buy. I also have investments in oil and gold/silver that could provide opportunities to sell if their is a panic.

My apologies to those who have people in the line of fire on either side - not meaning the demean the importance of this from a people perspective, just looking at the effect on our investments.

18 Likes

As of the last time I watched the news, no American was killed. The missiles did not strike base housing where Americans were staying. Trump’s trigger in the past was loss of US life and Iran avoided that. Iran’s message after the missiles seemed to be, “by UN policy bla bla bla, we got our revenge and we are done. It’s done if America doesn’t retaliate”. Iran has their video for state TV of American things blowing up. I think they were saving face, and if the US is finished, so are they. Unless someone does something new, they are done. If nothing happens between now and the market open, we probably won’t see much volatility.

2 Likes

This is an official tweet from Iran’s Javed Zarif:

“Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched. We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”

That says “we took our revenge and we are done”. As of now, no US casualties, so US doesn’t need to respond. As long as nothing changes, I think there will be no meaningful impact on the markets.

My prayers for peace, and our people in the region.

4 Likes

There is probably no need to tell this crowd, but I just wanted to say there is no need to worry and panic over the international geopolitical issues, or domestic issues going on right now. We may well see some panic in the markets if people think a war will break out in the middle east, but we should be able to stay calm - in the long run what’s going to matter is whether our companies are able to grow revenues and profits, not whether there are a few concerns in a country half a world away.

If you look at the historical chart of the DOW, you can see quite easily the 1929 crash, the 1935 FED tightening, the 1973 oil embargo and the Volker inflation war.

What is difficult to see is the bombing of Pearl harbor, or the Cuban missile crisis. The World Trade Center mattered and it showed ip in the chart because so many bankers died.

“We will always have wars and rumors of wars”

Cheers
Qazulight

3 Likes

Enough on this thread which, while reassuring, has really nothing to do with evaluating our stocks. Thanks.
Saul

14 Likes