Shhh. Don’t tell TPTB

They left a back door open to make one post on closed boards.

—Peter

1 Like

I was wondering how you did that…

I was wondering how you did that…

Pretty simple, really. Just your basic voodoo curse over my techie plant inside fool HQ.

—Peter

So, one went away… you coding Fool!

ww.notgoingthere.pl

2 Likes

So, one went away… you coding Fool!

They got mine, too. So I’ll spill the beans.

You could still reply to a post from the Replies tab. If you had an unread reply to one of your posts, you could go there to read it and reply after the board was closed. No voodoo required.

Typical TMF coding. Appears to be directed and done by people who don’t actually use the boards. That’s a systemic issue at Fool HQ, and one that won’t change with new board software. It takes more direct effort to improve that shortcoming.

—Peter

2 Likes

I’ve found a way to go back in time and reply on closed boards. Just did it on Political Asylum.

Time travel. Very clever. Well done.

—Peter

Oh that’s nothing. Check out Albaby1’s several new posts on the Great Movies board. What kind of voodoo is this?

That IS good. I’ve got some learning to do.

—Peter

Damned if I can figure out how he did it.

Damned if I can figure out how he did it.

Heh, heh, heh. I’ve been on these boards a looooooooooong time.

Evil chortle notwithstanding, I wouldn’t want to play around with that too much. TMF is leaving the old boards available (as read-only) as an accommodation, and I don’t want them to regret that choice and delete them altogether. They might not look too kindly on these types of shenanigans.

Albaby

4 Likes

Evil chortle notwithstanding, I wouldn’t want to play around with that too much.

That is my approach as well. Just trying to point out when the emperor has no clothes. In a humorous way, if you get my drift.

And one technical challenge you inspired me to see if I can figure out.

—Peter

1 Like

Ahem… Please refer to the Great Movies board.

Can’t figure out the poll, though, I’ll give you that.

I know your secret. Retired after 32 years in IT, but still haven’t totally forgotten everything. Perhaps

…Now if only I could figure out how to edit my hastily submitted posts

…Now if only I could figure out how to edit my hastily submitted posts

Next-best-thing: report your post and ask them to delete it.

1 Like

I know your secret. Retired after 32 years in IT, but still haven’t totally forgotten everything. Perhaps

Not sure about albaby1’s method, but there’s nothing very complicated about my method, anyone can do it, provided certain circumstances are right. I also think I know now how he did the poll. To do that, if I’m correct, there also has to be a certain set of circumstances, which for me are not available, but if they were, I could do it. Though there may be other methods of which I’m unaware, obviously.

No special circumstances are needed. The method will work on any closed board, to post a new message or poll. At least it did yesterday. I don’t want to push my luck and incur the wrath of The Fool. I even tried to rec an old post on a closed board, but got a “Stop that. This board is closed.” message, so they apparently plugged that hole already.

Hmmm, interesting. I’m apparently using a different method. More than one way to skin this cat.

I even tried to rec an old post on a closed board, but got a “Stop that. This board is closed.” message, so they apparently plugged that hole already.

A few days ago the “recommend” function was dead on a board that is actually being retained. The “report” function was still alive though! But progressing a few posts further on, the rec function was active again.

I’d love to know how to make a post on a de-activated board—some information I thought I had plenty of time to post. And then discovered…

I miss the presence that TMF has been in my life for over 20 years now. And by that, I mean the PEOPLE with whom I’ve been sharing information, thoughts, emotions, support, and lives.

=sheila

3 Likes