Skyworks CEO Aldrich Sees Diversity in Being &#8

This was posted by wouter28 in the middle of another thread, but it case it gets missed there here it is again. I guess it comes down to who you believe, the CEO who says they are killing it and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, or the analysts who don’t seem to get what the company does and just react to the rumor of the day.

I’m going with Aldrich.

…Aldrich said that diversity by customer allows the company ultimately stay aloft as individual vendors of phone or tablet lines hit a rough patch. “And also, and I will commit to investors, and to your readers, with each new generation of these things,” he picked up a phone siting on the conference table, “we will get a higher share of the content in them” by building more and more components within a so-called multi-chip module.

Still, mobile products, including phones and tablets, make up roughly 75% of Skyworks revenue, and so Aldrich is looking to the Internet of Things, including, in particular, home automation, as a source of diversification. The company’s parts are in the Nest smart thermostat from Alphabet (GOOGL). But the parts are also finding their way into drones, into cars, into robots, into all manner of things that require connectivity.

“Eveything!” he said, gesturing around him and up to the open ceiling of the booth and out there, to all the drones and other gizmos drawing crowds on the show floor. “We’re in all of it.”

“We want to be the arms merchant to these devices” in the wireless realms. With the slowing of Moore’s Law, “the best transistors are no longer where it’s at, and I don’t want to be on the digital side,” code for microprocessors and systems on a chip. Those parts are sold by the many companies with whom Skyworks partners, such as Silicon Labs (SLAB), which offers the host processor and baseband for the Nest.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2016/01/06/skyworks…

Brian
Really Long SWKS

19 Likes

Btscheufler: …and so Aldrich is looking to the Internet of Things, including, in particular, home automation, as a source of diversification. The company’s parts are in the Nest smart thermostat from Alphabet (GOOGL). But the parts are also finding their way into drones, into cars, into robots, into all manner of things that require connectivity.

Which is pretty much what he said on Mad Money back in August of 2015 on the day Skyworks dropped over 5%, from a little over $90/share to about $85/share… and here we are today under $70/share.

I share this board’s enthusiasm for Skyworks but the market does not share that enthusiasm right now.

Oh, and Aldrich does state for the record that 20-25% of Skyworks sales come from China (which may be weighing more on the share price right now than a possible slowdown in Apple iPhone sales).

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/18/cramer-is-skyworks-solutions-…

7 Likes

NewEchota,

I can wait.

Brian