Some questions

FYI I did buy normal positions in CAMP and DGII recently. They are in the SWIR space (M2M/IoT). Not sure if you ever had looked at them, but would be curious in your thoughts.

Vic, I have never looked at CAMP and DGII, and don’t know anything about them. I have taken a small position in SWII however, since it has become a MF rec.

Saul, assuming someone did their due diligence, researched the companies, and liked them as investments, which companies in your portfolio would you still recommend buying given current valuations?

Neil, That’s a tough question. In the first place I don’t recommend anyone buy my stocks. I’m not a professional advisor, and what’s appropriate for me might not be for someone else. Also all the stocks have been going up for a couple of years and even stocks like BOFI are at levels that are high for it. I’m not a market timer though and tend to stay fully invested.

I did sell out of a lot of my high flyers like SSYS, XONE, DDD, Z, and reduced position size on LNKD, TSLA and AMAVF. Stocks that don’t seem wildly overvalued right now (in alphabetical order) would include AMBA, CELG, DPZ (slower grower), ELLI, GTLS, INVN, MTZ, SYNA, UBNT, WAB. Note that that doesn’t mean that they will do better than the others, just that they seem more reasonably priced.

Saul, the guidance (Synaptics) seemed a tad weak, does the company have a history of sandbagging?.. looking forward, the high point of guidance would barely meet estimates…

Huibs, what do you or I care if their outlook meets “estimates”? Look how the company is doing! Revenues up 44%, Earnings up 62%, lots of cash generated by operations, lots of cash on the books, buying back shares, etc. And selling at 13 times earnings. I mean, REALLY! Do I care if they meet some analyst’s estimates?

I posted the following on the RB board, but its probably a good idea to post it here. You probably have a lot of knowledge about this company UBNT, so I would appreciate your thoughts/comments on the future prospects for this company.

Thanks, Anirban, for the interesting post and the useful links. I’m actually not a tech expert at all, and don’t even understand all of what they do. On the other hand I could say the same for all my tech stocks. I just try to get an idea of how the company is doing and whether I want to be invested in it. As for UBNT, their adjusted earnings the past five quarters have been (in cents) 15, 20, 24, 33, and 46. This is since the founder came back and cleaned house. I’m guessing 52-55 cents next quarter compared to 20 cents the year before. That’s a pretty good comparison. At the end of the quarter the PE will be well under 30. (Revenues have gone up sequentially the same way from $61 million to $130 million over the same five quarters). Seems a no brainer to me.

Saul

9 Likes

Huibs, what do you or I care if their outlook meets “estimates”? Look how the company is doing! Revenues up 44%, Earnings up 62%, lots of cash generated by operations, lots of cash on the books, buying back shares, etc. And selling at 13 times earnings. I mean, REALLY! Do I care if they meet some analyst’s estimates?

Huibs, It looks like my instincts were right. Synaptics is up about 7% post earnings as I write (on a very down market day). It looks like a lot of people agreed with me.

Saul

1 Like

Huibs, It looks like my instincts were right. Synaptics is up about 7% post earnings as I write (on a very down market day). It looks like a lot of people agreed with me.

…oh no doubt…

…it’s the only green in what appears to me to be a recreation of Hitchcock’s ‘shower scene’ as interpreted by Jack Bauer… :slight_smile: