Starting New Positions

As of today I am now up to 25% cash, and it is not by choice. I had a pretty big holding in PNRA, and cashed out of it today at $313… so its a good problem to have. I just do not see any bargains in my watch list that I would want to initiate a new position in right now. Is anyone else having that issue, or is it just me? Seems like everything is at least moderately overpriced.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much my view, too. I’m holding 21% cash. As of this moment, the only opportunities that interest me are AKAM (Akamai), ILF (Brazil/Mexico ETF) and VEDL (Vedanta - an Indian commodities conglomerate).

I’m up to 20% cash and I have three candidates on my watch list that I’m currently willing to buy once TA gives the go ahead:

Off-price retailer ROST which I posted about earlier. It’s falling through the 200 day SMA and I’m looking for a bottom as I don’t like buying falling knives.

Disposal company SRCL which is in the process of rebounding from a bottom.

Food additive company BCPC which is down 12% from the top and, like ROST, I’m waiting to see a bottom form.

I’m in no hurry to commit the funds because I can’t figure out the market direction just now. It feels like the Trump rally has ended.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

Here are some of the ones I am looking at or added to recently.

NVDA - big run in 2016, but still has huge potential. Recently took a hit, I consider adding under $100
SHOP - if not in yet, maybe worth taking a small position and wait to add at better value points
GOOG/L - of the big tech stocks, probably the best valued
LGIH - waiting to see March numbers and market’s reaction
BOFI - recent article of no “new” news caused drop, could drop below $20 again, or go right back $30
SKX - last qtr looked better, price shld eventually follow if they continue
GILD - losing sales on big hepatitis C drug, still generates huge FCF, growing dividend
GNTX - steady dividend grower if that is more your style.

Just a few off top of my head that might at least warrant checking into.

Hope it helps,

Kevin

10 Likes

I agree about the difficulty of finding opportunity.

Nevertheless, recently I have added to EDU, now a full holding. I made small investments in CGNX and ALIGN but with some trepidation because momentum has taken them to fair value, or more. They are not getting any more money unless they drop considerably with the market. I am perturbed to find, having bought a few SPLK, that it makes my third inexcusable non-fundamentally-accredited holding, the others being SHOP and PAYC. That’s what comes of reading this board! Thanks Saul. However, three bets on the horses is enough as I try to say to myself on the racecourse.

On ROST, I am not so sure. Looking at the 10-year PE chart (ROST has always been highly regarded) the multiple looks quite elevated although of course you could put that down to the QE and interest rate effect along with almost everything else.

2 Likes

I hold a lot of Vedanta in the UK listing. Good growth company but India is a dodgy country for investing in. They can change the rules of the game at whim and frequently do (way more so than China).
Ant

1 Like

hi Ant:

I hold a lot of Vedanta in the UK listing. Good growth company but India is a dodgy country for investing in. They can change the rules of the game at whim and frequently do (way more so than China).

If you don’t like the rules of the game, why do you play?

b&w

1 Like

Generally I don’t. VED was a 10 bagger for me at its peak when I top sliced. It is still a 3 bagger for me. This was a great opportunity. I am only in one other India related stock - a REIT in Singapore but generally I tend to avoid India far more than China.
A