Staying broke creates wealth

I x-posted on METaR, too.

WARNING: the video linked below is a Tesla FanBoy. And it’s PG17 for Adult language.

SKIP to the 12:00 MINUTE MARK to the 14:20 point in the video, Stephen Mark Ryan explains Life Style Inflation or Life Style Creep and how he has avoided it, by “paying himself first” and keeping his expenses at zero, or close to zero (AKA “Extreme LBYM”).

“Staying broke is an excellent way to create wealth.”

https://youtu.be/IIlfeJ3B7aQ

Macroeconomic link? The JCs hate non-consumers?

BTW. Skip back from the 12 minute mark, to the 6:50 mark to the 7:40, where he describes HIS choices for “staying broke to build wealth”.

:sun_with_face:
ralph has been “extreme” a couple times.

“Extreme LBYM to build wealth” was my mantra for years.

Today, now that I’m financially comfortable, getting myself to RELAX and be less “extreme” has been a mental “process”.
I find that I have to give myself PERMISSION to be less LBYM.

:eyes:
ralph

1 Like

“Extreme LBYM to build wealth” was my mantra for years.

I regret not spending more money earlier in my life. - Different strokes for different folks.

reallyalldone
I regret not spending more money earlier in my life

MIGHT be ditto here, but “all the way back then”, we didn’t know for SURE what the next 30, 40, 50 years were going to be like. At least I didn’t.

Saw mom and dad go thru it… I can count on one hand the number of “vacations” we took. They were fun, but they were also few and frugal.

(Moving-traveling when changing jobs were kind of worked into vacation jogs. Fun memories there.)

You can relive everything a little bit by helping your kids and-or nephews/nieces do stuff that they might not otherwise be able. Not the same, but…

3 Likes

You can relive everything a little bit by helping your kids and-or nephews/nieces do stuff that they might not otherwise be able. Not the same, but…

Thanks but poor assumption on your part. Pretty sure if you scour the boards you can find plenty I have done for them.

I am currently traveling as much as possible and plan to continue.

There are those who think we should spend (and enjoy) every dime and the last check you write should bounce.

Most on TMF are savers. Savings gives them more options and provides for their heirs.

Sure having more fun would give us many memories, but is that the responsible thing to do?

Its about hitting the right balance (as in many aspects of life).

2 Likes

MIGHT be ditto here, but “all the way back then”, we didn’t know for SURE what the next 30, 40, 50 years were going to be like. At least I didn’t.

Had my crystal ball been clear 30 years ago, we would have remodeled or moved sooner. Overall, we tried for balance.

What was unexpected was that we received some inheritance. That wasn’t expected or a given.

2 Likes

It IS about balance. The fallacy that is ingrained in us, is that spending more creates more happiness. I actually think for many many, spending more creates less happiness.

2 Likes

Yes, excess spending has to be a source of stress for many. Getting the right balance is worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Yes, excess spending has to be a source of stress for many. Getting the right balance is worth the trouble.

ROFL - not excess and not stressed.

3 Likes

I don’t think it requires anyone to make a video to see that saving more and spending less will likely result in the accumulation of money.

I do question whether creating wealth is a desirable goal. A number of years ago, maybe on this very board, there was a long message thread about net worth. I posted then, and still believe, that one’s life’s worth is more important than one’s net worth: how much value does your life add to the world? Some things that don’t contribute to financial wealth, such as good child-rearing or work that helps others but doesn’t make you rich, add value to the world.

I am a professional religious worker, but I don’t think that a person has to be ordained to understand this.

Or if you do accumulate wealth, what are you doing with it? There is research showing that wealthy people are less aware of the needs of others, which I don’t consider a good thing.

I also ask why so people become defensive, or criticize others, in discussions like this. The original post need not be read as a criticism of your habits or life choices.

3 Likes

Happy Fool Anniversary TchrP!!! You made it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Except he’s not broke. If he were, then he wouldn’t have extra money to invest in Tesla.

1 Like

"I do question whether creating wealth is a desirable goal. A number of years ago, maybe on this very board, there was a long message thread about net worth. "

And what is considered the appropriate net worth of scads and scores of balloons?

Howie52
Quite becoming.

1 Like

Or if you do accumulate wealth, what are you doing with it? There is research showing that wealthy people are less aware of the needs of others, which I don’t consider a good thing.

The definition of wealthy varies considerably.

We have enough that the financial hits of last week (refrigerator failed, expensive car problems, dental surgery, and homeowner insurance coming due) aren’t a serious problem. That doesn’t make us wealthy.

Owning a home that has significantly appreciated may in some minds make us wealthy but it is an illiquid asset that is proving a place to live. Again, not wealth that we “should” or “could” be doing something with it.

1 Like

We have no regrets about our lifetime of frugal living. We never traded up from our small ranch house, we drove our simple cars a long time, and generally lived a “value” life. The result of that is now, we have zero debt, our kids college tuitions are fully funded with no loans, and we are able to absorb the inflationary price increases with little to no impact on our day to day lives. In retrospect, we would change nothing about our lifestyle choices.

14 Likes

What InconclusiveFool said.

Still living in the house we bought a year after we married (30 years ago). Twins both finished college debt free. House was paid off by the time the kids were 12. Zero debt. Seven figure retirement account. 57 years old. Inflation hasn’t touched us. DH bought a new Highlander last year we owe nothing on it.

LBYM is the only way to live. No luxury cars or designer clothes or desire to keep up with the Joneses. Just the sweet comfort of good sleep and financial security. I go to work in sweat pants daily.

4 Likes

Inflation hasn’t touched us.

Are you special?

PSU

2 Likes

Are you special?

PSU

+1. Exactly. No one really escapes inflation. Maybe for a short while you don’t need a new car, don’t get a health insurance increase and your roof is new. But eventually…

Are you special?

PSU

Owning their home, kids through college, New vehicle, minimal clothing purchases, eating out very little means that inflation isn’t that noticeable. For those who aren’t struggling inflation for food, insurance, utilities, etc… isn’t as obvious. It exists but isn’t causing stress.

5 Likes