Stock news websites

I use yahoo to look at top headline news for my stocks portfolio. Wanted to get some additional inputs from this group on other good news aggregation sites that are good to give the day to day news for companies.

Rajesh

3 Likes

I use yahoo to look at top headline news for my stocks portfolio. Wanted to get some additional inputs from this group on other good news aggregation sites that are good to give the day to day news for companies.

Hi Rajesh,
I get news alerts on my stocks from my broker (Schwab). I also set up a “portfolio” on Seeking Alpha. It’s free and it gives me news alerts, as well as articles related to my stocks (some which are junk, but some are useful. I also sign up for the stock boards on the MF paid services I subscribe to (RB and SA). I find that the best source of news and alerts, though, is this board.
Saul

14 Likes

Thanks Saul I have found yahoo as the best news aggregator as it picks news from all sources the moment it is published. The Schwab morning commentary comes in quite late in the day and since I am based in India it becomes even later for me in the night and somehow I have not got used to that . let me see if there is anything else on stocks and will post it back if I find

Rajesh

This is an example of a little news blurb I just received from Seeking Alpha:

Bank of America Merrill Lynch initiates Twilio (NYSE:TWLO) at a Buy with a $45 price target, a 32% upside to yesterday’s close.

As you see, this kind of news isn’t usually covered on Yahoo.

Saul

Yahoo! (HOW are they even still alive???) News is too full of click-bait and automated computer-generated “articles” to be useful. Signal-to-noise ratio is far too low for my time.

As with Saul, my broker (E*Trade in my case) sends me emails or text messages for anything I’ve told it to, based on whatever triggers I set (-2% for everything, and a few +'s that I manage separately) and that’s a human trigger for me to go look for the “why.” Often my first visit might be Y! stock chart w/ the news ticker on the right, but for anything useful, I probably come here to one of the MF Stock Advisor forums, or this gem of a free board.

As much as the general consensus here of Seeking Alpha may be a collective eye-roll, it can be very illuminating to have an account there, add your portfolio to it, and let Seeking Alpha send you those emails as well (analysis, quarterly investor call transcripts, etc.). Whether you buy into everyone else’s opinion on an article or a company is beside the point to some degree. Reading those articles and the comments (which, alone, can be anything from hilarity to disgust to amazing, salient, and relevant) gives you a good feel for what OTHER investors may be thinking and perhaps avoid situations where you’re on a good COMPANY where the STOCK itself may be “bad” for one or more reasons – valid or not, they’re reasons and they do move the stock price because other investors may subscribe to them.

11 Likes

I used to like Yahoo, but I hate it now; video ads load and play, every other article is unrelated to the stock I am looking at. Just horrible.

FinViz seems to have the same articles as yahoo without the pain. And its chart is better and its data table is better.

Also check out investors.com for specific growth stocks. They show only their own articles, which are geared toward the CANSLIM/IBD/O’Neil method of investing in great growth stocks with stong fundamentals and proper basing actions.

The home page has chaning articles throughout the day, and it has several columns that are good for finding candidate “Saul” stocks.

For hunting, check out these articles:
https://www.investors.com/category/research/the-new-america/…
Two recent article were on stocks we know: TEAM and SHOP, and there are plenty of occasions where you will find growth stocks you have not yet heard off. There is great overlap between that and rule breaker picks too.

This column has a full archive
The following two do not…

And try these:
https://research.investors.com/stock-lists/sector-leaders
HQY the other day.
https://research.investors.com/stock-lists/stock-spotlight/
*splunk today

Good luck

8 Likes