Tax forms question

Curious if anyone knows if a brick/mortar broker location, such as Fidelity or Schwab, will provide one with tax documents. Anyone have any experience with that? I won’t be able to print a couple forms at home but wanted to drop by a location to see if I could get them. I’m thinking that might not be possible for security reasons, but thought I would ask here. Thanks…

Curious if anyone knows if a brick/mortar broker location, such as Fidelity or Schwab, will provide one with tax documents. Anyone have any experience with that? I won’t be able to print a couple forms at home but wanted to drop by a location to see if I could get them. I’m thinking that might not be possible for security reasons, but thought I would ask here. Thanks…

Are you asking about blank forms, such as a 1040? Or forms such as a 1099 that arrive with numbers filled in?

For blank forms: Order by phone at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Try your local library. I’m sure they must have a few terminals connected to the internet and a printer.

Ira

5 Likes

For blank tax forms try local IRA Taxpayer Assistance Center or call to order.

Thanks for the replies, as always.

My fault, I should have been more clear…they are the actual tax documents that get mailed out for the account filled in, not blank forms.

I’m trying to avoid having to do it at a library or a friend’s house. My very old printer won’t communicate with the new computer.

The reason I am asking first before checking with the broker itself is I just wanted to see what someone else’s experience might have been, so if I am told no, I can maybe say I heard someone else was able to get them (I of course would say this politely and would respect the no, I’m not someone who argues, at all). Planning on doing the taxes next week, so I got time.

I’m trying to avoid having to do it at a library or a friend’s house. My very old printer won’t communicate with the new computer.

You really should buy a new printer. You can get a new one for less than $100 now. And at Best Buy they don’t even try to fix printers. Even if you have a Geek Squad service plan. It’s just cheaper to replace than repair.

Bill

2 Likes

My very old printer won’t communicate with the new computer.
How old is it?

Does it have a USB interface?
If it’s a USB-based printer, probably you can get it to communicate if you want to.
You might have to search for a driver for the printer.

If you’re doing taxes via software, you wouldn’t have to print out the documents. Some tax software and some brokers you can import directly from the broker. And even if you can’t do that, you can switch back and forth between the website (or a PDF downloaded from the broker’s website) and your tax software.

If you have a laptop, another option is to take it to a printer - either a friends or a business-place that has printers like FedEx/Kinkos.
Or put the PDFs on a thumb drive, and take the thumb drive to a copier place and print from the thumb drive.

I definitely would want to have a working printer - I like to have a printed copy of the tax forms I submit. I trust paper more than a thumb drive or a CD-R.
And printers are pretty cheap as was already mentioned. You can probably get one that does scan/copy/print for under $150 - hopefully one that the ink isn’t too expensive. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can probably get one that does scan/copy/print for under $150 - hopefully one that the ink isn’t too expensive. :slight_smile:

I would buy a laser if all you need is black print and you don’t print often. You can buy a Brother laser printer with duplex printing for $110.

4 Likes

I would buy a laser if all you need is black print and you don’t print often. You can buy a Brother laser printer with duplex printing for $110.

Long ago, the department of the company where I worked, got us a laser printer that operated locally so we did not have to go to the computation center, where the computers were to get paper printed on their chain printers.

That laser black-and-white printer printed only on one side. It cost about $10,000. I believe it was sometime in the 1980s.

If you have been able to download the forms as a PDF from the brokerage website, then you should be able to transfer the PDFs to a thumb drive. FedEx Office (previously Kinkos) offers self-service copy machines. You are able to simply plug your thumb drive into the copy machine and print out PDF documents. It’s all right there at your finger tips, very private and (relatively) secure…no having to walk over to a public printer or have a friend looking over your shoulder. Very affordable (perhaps 12 or 15 cents per page).

1 Like