Tesla plans plant in Canada

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-…

1 Like

Maybe. There is no evidence that Tesla plans anything in Canada. All that’s known is that they are exploring possibilities, just like they are in many other places.

The only thing different about Canada is that they are legally required to disclose such discussions.

-IGU-

1 Like

If 50% of the auto market is to be EVs by 2030, and Tesla retains 50% market share, they need many more plants. 18mm is the US number in a good year. 9mm EVs in 2030. 4.5mm Teslas. At 500k/plant (an expansion from current rates) they need 5 more plants from the current 4.

Texas, California, China, Germany at present.

Where will they be? Two in Northeast likely. Canada? Carolinas? Ohio?

And probably Mexico.

Where is yet to be decided. Canada seems likely. If all goes well expect new site announcements about every two years.

If 50% of the auto market is to be EVs by 2030, and Tesla retains 50% market share, they need many more plants.

Your estimates and guesses are interesting, but kind of pointless and wrong. Tesla’s plans were described at the annual shareholder meeting. I posted about it on the Tesla board:
https://discussion.fool.com/tesla-2022-annual-meeting-35151529.a…

Spoiler: About a dozen factories worldwide with production of 1.5M each annually by 2030.

-IGU-

Thanks for the posting. I’m not surprised most don’t know of those plans as they are buried in the middle of a 2 hr video.

I heard him say he plans to expand the four existing plants to 1.5mm each for a total of 6mm units.

He mentioned dreams of 100mm units per year. But seems to be shooting for 20mm in perhaps 10 plants.

Shipping costs usually favor manufacturing near customers. That’s the reason plants in the northeast are likely.

Thanks for the posting. I’m not surprised most don’t know of those plans as they are buried in the middle of a 2 hr video.

Well, I can see good reason to not believe anything you read in the Wall St. Journal, especially about Tesla. But it was the actual very first sentence of their report on the shareholders meeting, visible even to non-subscribers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-shareholders-expected-to-…

Chief Executive Elon Musk said Thursday that the electric-vehicle maker is likely to need roughly a dozen factories to reach its goal of selling 20 million vehicles annually by 2030.

-IGU-

1 Like

Shipping costs usually favor manufacturing near customers. That’s the reason plants in the northeast are likely.

That certainly hasn’t been the case with the auto industry of late. BMW could have built a US plant anywhere, but they chose South Carolina. I’m not sure the Carolinas are a big center of BMW customers.

DB2

Carolinas is right to work state. Easy access to ports. Not cogedted ports. Easy imports of parts from Germany. Panama Canal upgrades makes parts from Asia less costly to import. Strong work ethic. Easy access to most of the US population.

And a lot closer to the US customer than Germany.