That other story

Hang with me a bit.

DW was raised in real third world poverty. Very interesting situation, an almost Robinson Crusoe existence, she and her parents living on a small islet a mile offshore. Too poor to afford high school so along with her mother she worked harvesting rice and sugar cane. Much more intertwined in 16 years. 16 is normal graduation age then, and a high school was opened in her municipality. So that was barely affordable and she managed to attend by working as maid for the then mayor’s mother. So at 20, almost 21, she graduated and within the week headed for Manila. Worked there in a restaurant. She was quite fluent in Tagalog because her parents chose to speak Tagalog out on their islet (but when she started grade school she didn’t speak the local dialect as first language). Anyway, she made it to U.S. and worked 21 years in Silicon Valley. We came back here to retire, and the grandson was the mayor and he and his brother alternated as mayor. DW became entangled in politics and she held positions starting in 2007, She won five of six elections, ending up as #1 on muni council. In the out of office term she headed President Duterte’s Financial Assistance program in the entire province. So for 2022 she was induced to challenge the 60-year dynasty of the family she worked for.

So much more to the story, and even back in 2005 she was featured on a tv program and it was one of the 3 segments that sort of launched her political career. (She had gone to Manila after grade school as a maid to a local family that had gone to Manila and worked in the movie industry. They were at the time in TV, with the young lad now a producer so…)

So, election was Monday and her party was wiped out from incumbent governor, to congressman, to DW and her vice-mayor and 7 of 8 councilor positions. And the governor received only 28%!!! We had good indications… well indications that in fact were NOT good, that she would win. But by 9 p.m. last night it was apparent that she was losing. So it was against that backdrop that I checked into UPST when the market opened at 9 p.m. and I made the two sales of UPST. DW is sleeping late, getting a little relief from sleep deprivation. I woke up about market close and did a double take on the after hours UPST price.

We still get visitors, usually overseas from random places, people unknown. Filipinos coming back to visit their family somewhere on the island, coming here to see the house and meet DW. Not as many as 2006 to 2012, but still… It is like we are on “greyline tour” :slight_smile: Lots of plots and subplots to the story which is why 3 different programs (4, actually, because they took portions of the 3 to roll into a related subject for the 4th.)

A double punch on the 9th but we doing well. I have her cell phone on mute so she can sleep. A dozen or two supporters sitting out on the lawn or in lanai. Some red eyes there but we will have a mini caravan this week to thank the supporters (both of them :)…).

On to retirement, whatever that will be now. Hey, Oregon State swept Oregon three games and are 3 games ahead of the 3 second place teams with 3 weeks to go. Wasn’t all bad over the weekend.

KC

6 Likes

Great perspective…

Not everyone always knows the reasons why we are not flying off this spinning ball of dirt, or life’s great purpose for us.

So it is nice when you already have everything you need. Then losing some of the wants here and there aint so bad.

Sounds like you and dw have lived in some interesting times and more is still to come.

Dreamer

you and dw have lived in some interesting times and more is still to come.

Not sure I want “more still to come”. Perhaps you are not aware of the traditional Chinese curse to place on someone: “May you live in interesting times”. :slight_smile:

Or, according to Wikipedia:

“May you live in interesting times” is an English expression that is claimed to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse. While seemingly a blessing, the expression is normally used ironically; life is better in “uninteresting times” of peace and tranquility than in “interesting” ones, which are usually times of trouble.

Despite being so common in English as to be known as the “Chinese curse”, the saying is apocryphal, and no actual Chinese source has ever been produced. The most likely connection to Chinese culture may be deduced from analysis of the late-19th-century speeches of Joseph Chamberlain, probably erroneously transmitted and revised through his son Austen Chamberlain.

KC

1 Like

KC,

Thanks for this awesome story, it´s one of those stories which go directly to one´s heart.
I thought of you yesterday evening after the ER, but I just couldn´t find the right words to post.
Fortunately Dreamer found them.

Take care!