Top Ten blah blah blah

A few weeks back on a Fool video reveal of their latest pick, they promised we’d see, within two weeks, the top-ten mistakes, and top-ten Fool recommendations he’d sell.

Crickets since.

I don’t know what to think of this.

What prompted this was a live viewer question about the recent hard drops in many Stock Advisor picks. Many of those picks were Saul stocks actually, and I wonder if they should have ever been SA picks. Rule Breakers? Can see that. But SA to me is not a swing for the fences type of thing. Maybe I’m delusional. But at least they did admit that they need to work more with respect to risk assessment and risk management. (Frankly, so does Saul’s board - I don’t see how that can be an off-topic topic for a board that invests that risky).

My SA subscription renews at the end of the year. Questioning, at the moment, if I will.

10 Likes

Since I am fully retired, debt free for several decades and on pensions … oh and can only put Canadian Stocks in my two (wife and I) Tax Free Savings Accounts I have little reason to follow US based Stock Advisors? All of my holdings pay tax free dividends mostly above 4% annually.

When I’m in a hurry in the mornings I often use thread ignore … but of course y’All knew that.

Huge birthday party for wife yesterday in our Condo with lots of old friends and family, the cat ‘Addie’ got caught raiding the shrimp dish … well it was on her claimed table?

Have a great week, I rarely even bother opening my trading accounts in the morning these days.

Tim

1 Like

My SA subscription renews at the end of the year. Questioning, at the moment, if I will.

They have not covered themselves with glory.

A few weeks back on a Fool video reveal of their latest pick, they promised we’d see, within two weeks, the top-ten mistakes, and top-ten Fool recommendations he’d sell.

Hey bjurasz,

Tom Gardner said he’d produce these reports, but he didn’t promise a two-week timeline on them. It’s the 59:45 mark in this video: https://www.fool.com/premium/stock-advisor/coverage/18/cover…

Based on what he described, he’s considering a quarterly regularity to sell recommendations from the Team Everlasting half of the SA scorecard.

So I think expecting his top 10 stocks to sell list by the end of the current quarter (i.e. September) is going to be reasonable, then the top 10 mistakes will follow. We’re getting into the heat of earnings season now, so the middle of July is not the best time IMO to be making sell decisions. 4-6 weeks from now would be better.

If it’s earlier, that would be great. But they’re not overdue yet.

And because of the nature of sell recs in our services, you don’t want us to rush sell rec decisions because we can’t just flip a switch to undo them. If SA issued 40 hold recs at once, they all remain on the scorecard, and the team could pull as many stocks as they like out of the Penalty Box at once, effectively changing the rating from “hold” to “buy.” That’s an extreme example, but if SA were to issue many sell recs at once and those companies were able to turn the corner and be attractive to the team again, the service couldn’t add them back to the active rec universe more quickly than selecting them as the monthly buy recommendation one at a time.

-Loren

1 Like