Totally OT: Russian in Zumba Zoom class

I exercise 6 days a week. Most of those are live Zumba classes over Zoom. It’s amazing how I have “met” such nice people who live thousands of miles apart from each other and would never have met in normal life.

A class I am attending more frequently is given by “El Doco Loco,” the nom de danse of Dr. Raymond Poliquit, Adjunct Professor at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. His dance studio is sponsored by “Healthy Blue” Blue Cross/ Blue Shield so his online classes are free. (Though he asks for donations and I do send about $5 per class by PayPal.) The good thing about this program is that “Doc” organizes at least 4 - 5 classes per day with different Zumba instructors, from very early morning to evening. So it’s easy to find a class that works with my other activities.

Dr. Raymond Poliquit | El Doco Loco Dance Studio | (318) 855-9270| noyke@aol.com |
https://www.facebook.com/eldocoloco

Yesterday, a man with a very deep bass voice and a Russian accent attended. I asked him where he was located and he said, “Russia.” The class was about to start so there wasn’t time to ask him the many questions that immediately sprung to mind.

First, Zumba classes are FUN with a lot of jumping around to Latin, pop and hip-hop music. From the many books I have read about Russia, I can’t imagine the gloomy “Russian temperament” doing Zumba! (Of course, who would think that Finns love tango? :wink: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpFdxyzvwI

Second, didn’t Vladimir Putin cut off Russia from the internet? If a Russian can attend a Zoom Zumba class in New Orleans, what’s to stop him from watching YouTube or Facebook or any other web site?

Wendy

1 Like

Second, didn’t Vladimir Putin cut off Russia from the internet? If a Russian can attend a Zoom Zumba class in New Orleans, what’s to stop him from watching YouTube or Facebook or any other web site?

The most likely explanation is that this gentleman is using a VPN.