U.S. duties on softwood lumber baseless

Of course they are actually pandering to the US Lumber Industry that can never produce enough to fill US demand.

Anymouse

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ottawa-to-challenge-lower-but-ba…

POLITICS 30m ago

Ottawa to challenge lower but ‘baseless’ U.S. duties on softwood lumber, says Ng

The Canadian Press

3 Likes

“Ottawa to challenge lower but ‘baseless’ U.S. duties on softwood lumber, says Ng”

I haven’t been following the tariff dramas that the USA has been doing. Is USA limiting the
amount of lumber that can be imported into America, from Canada ?
If the tariff is just a cost that the USA government is adding on to lumber imported to the
USA, and thus hosing over it’s own woodworking citizens, then please thank the Canadian government
for going to bat for lumber users in America,lol.

been an expensive time to be doing remodeling around the house, although much, much cheaper than hiring somebody to do it. Home Depot and Lowes really seem to be sticking it to me,lol. I’m not one of the silly Americans who might think that tariffs on Canadian lumber is paid by Canadians, as seemed to be the case with the 2016-2020 era tariffs enacted on Asian products imported to USA. Not sure from the article what the tariff is adding to the cost of a 2x4, but a reduction should help, if HD and Lowes don’t just keep prices the same ( let the gouging continue, lol ).

2 Likes

UpNorthJoe: I haven’t been following the tariff dramas that the USA has been doing. Is USA limiting the amount of lumber that can be imported into America, from Canada ?
If the tariff is just a cost that the USA government is adding on to lumber imported to the
USA, and thus hosing over it’s own woodworking citizens, then please thank the Canadian government
for going to bat for lumber users in America,lol.

The vast majority of US produced softwood lumber comes from private woodlots. Canadian lumber mostly is cut in our vast forests. The Canadian lumber companies pay a “stumpage” fee to the provincial governments who “own” the forests.

The tax on imported Canadian lumber drives up the cost for US companies building homes. The winner is the US lumber producers who couldn’t compete otherwise on price.

Tim

The U.S. accounted for 69% of Canada's softwood lumber exports in 2015. This is an increased share of Canadian softwood lumber exports, which reached its lowest level in 2011, accounting for only 54%. China in that same year accounted for 21%.

Then there is this: Prior to the invasion, Russia enjoyed a booming business of exporting manufactured lumber to the U.S., which spiked up to 179 percent between 2016 and 2020. According to U.S. Census Bureau Trade Data, the US imported around 337 Million Board Feet of forest products from Russia in 2021 to meet this need, an increase of 104% over 2020 imports.

OT - Apparently Canada is providing Monkey Pox vaccinations free to whoever shows up, meanwhile long lines in US many of them leave empty handed. I have no idea what the background story is?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/health/monkeypox-gay-men/inde…

Gay men are lining up as early as 2 a.m. for monkeypox vaccines. Many leave empty-handed

David Culver

By David Culver and Elizabeth Joseph, CNN
Updated 3:09 PM EDT, Fri August 5, 2022

2 Likes