Ukraine is ruined

https://mobile.twitter.com/NikGerassimow/status/150623948477…

Nikita Gerassimow
@NikGerassimow
Freier Journalist. Konfliktbeobachter. Doktorand an der Freien Universität Berlin.
Translated from German by
Freelance journalist. conflict observer. PhD student at the Free University of Berlin.

The best I can tell he attempts to remain neutral on reporting. Other than his bio and his tweets I have no other information.

The thread is in German and each tweet must be translated. When I read this thread, not the latests, I get the sense that Ukraine was being radicalized before Russia invaded and now that country is crashed, the radicalization has dramatically accelerated.

In other words, Ukraine has fallen iff the wall and all the kings horses and all the kings men cannot put Ukraine back together again.

Cheers
Qazulight

I’m not 100% on this, but aren’t the vast majority of neo-Nazi groups in Germany based in the former “East?” If that’s the case, perhaps a Marshall Plan-style rebuilding effort by the EU+US would not only get Ukraine back on its feet more quickly, but pretty much end any hope of Russian meddling in the future?

4 Likes

perhaps a Marshall Plan-style rebuilding effort by the EU+US would not only get Ukraine back on its feet more quickly, but pretty much end any hope of Russian meddling in the future?

“They destroyed your buildings and infrastructure, but we built you back up”. Yup, sounds like a winning plan to me.

2 Likes

Qaz,

Putin, Xi and one particular person I cant name here play the, “I am not a fascist, they are the fascist” game.

I think pointing at Ukraine for fascism is a sucker errand.

It is not just totally unnecessary and almost entirely untrue, but it is being used by Putin. It being used by actual fascists. This is not some sort of fog of war. It is clearly planted misinformation. Not because I know the source because what being said is full of it.

5 Likes

In other words, Ukraine has fallen iff the wall and all the kings horses and all the kings men cannot put Ukraine back together again.

Sounds like either defeatism or Russian propaganda. Today I watched a bunch or graphic reports on the war. The destruction is horrifying but the Ukrainian spirit is not broken. The shipment of defensive arms from the West is massive. Let’s not forget that it was American Industry and allied pluck that won WWII. Russia was supplied by LendLease. Now they have to rely on their own crappy economy and soldiers who were lied to – “Expect a cakewalk as liberators.”

Maybe it was the “Nikita” that sounded the alarm…

The German and Japanese Humpy Dumptys were put back together.

The Captain

11 Likes

“Expect a cakewalk as liberators.”

Sounds familiar… Of course, it was all political-talk, not real-world talk.

Depends on one’s point of view.

Western Ruling class, and their billion dollar weapons profits? For them - it’s hardly ruin. And they get closer to replacing Putin.

1 Like

Any peace agreement with Russia must include war reparations. Payments for damage caused by the war and for reconstruction. And compensation for the death or injuries to the victims.

We should accept nothing less.

2 Likes

We should accept nothing less.

How about consulting the Ukrainians?

The Captain
doesn’t like dictators, good or bad

4 Likes

"The German and Japanese Humpy Dumptys were put back together.

The Captain "

The Marshall Plan - European Recovery Program.
I don’t think the Japanese recovery reached the “program” level.

Howie52
Different world as well as different level of need when comparing one country to many -
darn near a continent.

1 Like

“Japanese recovery”

We are told that Japan built trucks for the Korean War. That was a major stimulus to their recovery.

2 Likes