Ukraine takes Kupyansk and Izyum back

A major strategic defeat for Russia in east. Russia took months to grind out its gains in the east at the cost of tens of thousands of casualties and massive amounts of equipment and ammunition; Ukraine has recouped its losses and more within a matter of days.

The Russian military is a hollow construct, its leadership utterly incompetent.

4 Likes

A major strategic defeat for Russia in east.

Moscow announced Saturday that it was “regrouping” its forces in the eastern Kharkiv region of Ukraine
www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/moscow-announced-saturday-that-…
Moscow announced Saturday that it was “regrouping” its forces in the eastern Kharkiv region of Ukraine after Kyiv announced its troops had made sweeping gains in the territory held for months by Russia’s army.

“To achieve the goals of the special military operation to liberate Donbas, a decision was made to regroup Russian troops stationed in the Balakliya and Izyum regions, to bolster efforts along the Donetsk front,” Russia’s defence ministry said in a statement.

DB2

1 Like

Baghdad Bob?

Baghdad Bob?

I think the Russians are confirming the Ukrainian news.

DB2

a decision was made to regroup Russian troops stationed in the Balakliya and Izyum regions

From the videos I managed to find the “decision to regroup” was taken at very high speed and adrenaline by some sober sergeants and privates who announced their decision by running like hell for the fastest armored transport they could find and retreating.

If the Russian higher ups do not come up with some real quick real smart moves and decisions in the next 48 hours their army may be on the verge of a collapse of morale and then of coherence.

Fingers crossed for collapses!

david fb

12 Likes

If this is true, then Russia is in real trouble.

www.nytimes.com/live/2022/09/10/world/ukraine-russia-war?smi…
Ukrainian forces entered the key Russian military stronghold of Izium on Saturday, continuing their rapid advance across the northeast and igniting a dramatic new phase in the more than six-month war.

“Izium was liberated today,” the city’s mayor, Valeriy Marchenko, said in an interview. While he was not yet in the city himself, he said that he was in contact with the police and that emergency services were working to clear it of possible hazards before residents could return.

Russia’s Ministry of Defense — which a day earlier had said that it was moving to reinforce its defensive positions in the region — confirmed on Saturday that it had pulled its forces out of Izium, six months after its forces laid siege to and then seized the city. In a statement, it presented the retreat as a preplanned move, intended to strengthen its efforts in the east where its army has been bogged down for weeks.

DB2

1 Like

it presented the retreat as a preplanned move,

Yeah, I cut off my arm…I can find an excuse for that. Oh I wanted to support the other arm.

From the videos I managed to find the “decision to regroup” was taken at very high speed and adrenaline by some sober sergeants and privates who announced their decision by running like hell for the fastest armored transport they could find and retreating.

If the Russian higher ups do not come up with some real quick real smart moves and decisions in the next 48 hours their army may be on the verge of a collapse of morale and then of coherence.

I’m stunned at how quickly the Russians folded. They clearly were not in the mood to fight. And notably just yesterday the Russian MOD announced it was sending reinforcements to Kharkiv. So I believe your analysis is correct, this was full panic retreat. It will be interesting to see how far Ukraine can press its advantage.

In other news, today is Moscow City Day. Putin spent the day visiting new heated pools and a Ferris wheel. I wouldn’t be surprised if Russian TV soon begins broadcasting Swan Lake.

2 Likes

it presented the retreat as a preplanned move,

Anyone else notice the echos of the Russian retreat from Kiev? They called it a “redeployment”.

Steve

1 Like

If this is true, then Russia is in real trouble.

It does make me a tad nervous about what Plan B might be. Or C or D.

V

1 Like