Warren's Personal Portfolio

Would love to see what is under the hood. Many times he has said that less than 2% of his wealth is outside of Berkshire.

At the date of Berkshire’s proxy statement issued on March 15, 2021, Mr. Buffett controlled 248,734 Class A shares and 10,188 Class B shares. This represented 16.2 percent of the economic value of Berkshire Hathaway.

At today’s prices, that is roughly $115B.

So at 1% or 1.5% or near 2% in his personal portfolio he has between $1-$2Billion in it.

2 Likes

So in the 2012 AR he said it was worth 40 billion and he has donated 4.25% each year since.

he said his personal portfolio was worth $40 Billion in the 2012 annual?

I find that hard to believe but will check

Bershire holdings and may have meant BV. Pgs 19-21

1 Like

“Let me end this math exercise – and I can hear you cheering as I put away the dentist drill – by using my own case to illustrate how a shareholder’s regular disposals of shares can be accompanied by an increased investment in his or her business. For the last seven years, I have annually given away about 41/4% of my Berkshire shares. Through this process, my original position of 712,497,000 B-equivalent shares (split-adjusted) has decreased to 528,525,623 shares. Clearly my ownership percentage of the company has significantly decreased.”

Clearly he means his share of Berkshire. My original post is what is in his PERSONAL portfolio.He obviously has a large one if up to 2% of his net worth is in it.

2 Likes

You clearly did!

He did say he had 1m share of jpm.
He had wfc too but don’t know if he sold them.
He also has SRG

I think there was a public comment not too long ago that it was only two stocks besides Berkshire.
Does anyone else remember that?

not too long = a few years

Jim

https://www.cnbc.com/2012/02/27/cnbc-transcript-part-5-warre…

JPM for sure…

BUFFETT: Well, we own stock in Wells Fargo, we got the Bank of America situation. And I’ll let you in on a little secret. I own some shares of JPMorgan.

BECKY: Personally, right?

BUFFETT: Personally, right, right. You just — you just got some news from me, Andrew. But what I — what I specifically reference, and this is important, Jamie Dimon, I think, writes the best annual letter in corporate America. I think you will learn — I think every viewer will learn something by reading his annual — they’ll learn a lot by reading his annual report. He is a — he thinks well, and he writes extremely well. And he works a lot on the report, he’s told me that. And that’s an annual report worth reading. Most annual reports aren’t worth reading, but that one is.

8 Likes

Those are the only two I recall- SRG and JPM. Way in the past he bought REITs and cheap Korean stocks but many years ago and I doubt those werelong term holds.

I like how he very honestly replies that he hardly ever thinks about his personal holdings and all of his brain power is geared towards Berkshire. Makes sense.

Ted has done quite well with his Dillards buy. I am curious whether he makes some personal bets alongside T&T if it comes up over their weekly lunches. There must be some occasional talk about some fun smaller ideas that are interesting and good conversation pieces. Agree, it would be fun to see his personal portfolio!

1 Like

WEB’s personal portfolio is difficult for ordinary retail investors to duplicate. He uses leverage, derivates in his portfolio.

“WEB’s personal portfolio is difficult for ordinary retail investors to duplicate. He uses leverage, derivates in his portfolio.”

did he whisper this in your ear?

3 Likes

I am unable to find that link. Yes, he talked about line of credit, using derivatives in his personal account.

I think that is very plausible. Just keep it light.

I can’t imagine how large his personal holding are.

1 Like

Not sure whether he sold WFC from his personal holdings. He talked about owning WFC, which he purchased long, long time ago.

1 Like

In my 47 years of Berk ownership I am 95% certain that I have both heard and witnessed Buffett write that he owns “100 shares of a whole lot of stocks” so that “I get the annual reports and can read them.”

That of course was long ago before online existed and may not at all be the case any longer. I am gunna guess that Buffett reads very few annual reports these days.

1 Like

Not sure if any of you have heard the audio/video by Alice Schroeder where she discusses Buffett’s early technology investment where he invested (I think) $1 mil and made 30 times his money fairly quick. She/he says that is where he got (at that time) much of his outside-of-Berk money.

This was an interesting discussion because the company had asked Buffett to invest earlier but he refused stating he could not see the path clear enough forward. But the company evolved and developed such that (Schroeder’s description of Buffett’s words) see the model financially.

Of coure my memory isn’t all that great.

3 Likes

Not sure if any of you have heard the audio/video by Alice Schroeder where she discusses Buffett’s early technology investment where he invested (I think) $1 mil and made 30 times his money fairly quick. She/he says that is where he got (at that time) much of his outside-of-Berk money.

This was an interesting discussion because the company had asked Buffett to invest earlier but he refused stating he could not see the path clear enough forward. But the company evolved and developed such that (Schroeder’s description of Buffett’s words) see the model financially.

Of coure my memory isn’t all that great.

chompin, your memory seems to be just fine. I believe you’re referring to Buffett’s investment in Mid-Continent Tab Card Company. It looks like you can view Alice Schroeder’s talk here: https://afterdinnerinvestor.com/mid-continent-tab-card-compa…

4 Likes

So maybe it was $60,000 (20% of his net worth) for 18 years and 33% annually, about $10 mil in the end.

Longtimebrk is likely referring to the 2008 credit crisis, when WEB dumped his personal treasuries and bought common stocks with that money. IIRC, he had a lot of fun gobbling up some South Korean stocks that were too small for BRK🎉