Weird AdBlock Plus behavior

I have AdBlock Plus on both my laptop and desktop.

On the desktop it works all as expected including the icon in the address bar row that tells you how many block on the current page and allows unblocking for page or site.

On the desktop, that icon is no longer there. AdBlock Plus is installed and enabled and works just fine on most sites, but it does not have the icon in the address row and on https://www.uexpress.com/life/miss-manners (One of the funniest columnists going) the ads, which used to be blocked, now show much of the time. On the desktop, the icon says there are 309 ads, which seems like a lot, but I have never had this sort of problem until recently.

The version of AdBlock Plus on the two machines is the same.

The absence of the icon in the browser toolbar is for just the one site, or all sites?

If it’s all sites, it’s a browser configuration. (Could maybe give more precise info if we knew what browser.) Somewhere in its settings is something like “Customize Toolbar”. Find & click that.

Example (Firefox): start with the “application menu” (a stack of three horizontal lines), click on “More tools”, then click on “Customize Toolbar”.

You’ll probably (definitely with Firefox) get a new tab large selection of icons that could be on the toolbar(s). Any that are on the toolbars but you don’t want to see, drag from the toolbar to that selection. Any that you are absent and you do want to see, drag from the selection to a toolbar.

All sites.

Chrome.

The key part is that it used to suppress ads on that site and now it doesn’t.

Could wait for an update.

Could reinstall.

Could change blocker; I used to routinely rotate ad blockers as they all catch different things and all are updated at different times.

Could change browsers; I use Brave and don’t have any separate blockers installed, Brave does fine natively blocking most ads I guess as I don’t see any. The home page tells how many trackers and ads have been blocked (550,000 but I don’t know over what time period that covers, probably since I installed Brave).

For other browsers, when I see ads suddenly popping up, I change ad-blockers.

As to why the same browser and two different computers give different results – IDK

glh

On the desktop, that icon is no longer there. AdBlock Plus is installed and enabled and works just fine on most sites, but it does not have the icon in the address row - tamhas</i.

-------------------

A few months ago, the same thing happened to me on my laptop, using Firefox. The only way I could get the Icon back on the address bar was to re-install Adblock Plus. Maybe there are other solutions but I couldn’t find one at the time. Re-installing was pretty easy.

1 Like

Well, I have been through the Chrome setup and I see no options related to the address bar, so I have no idea how to get the icon to show.

I previously re-installed, but now I removed and then reinstalled. No change. No icon. Works like a champ on everyone except Miss Manners where I will see an empty space with the word Advertisement for a few seconds and then the advertisement will pop in.

In Chrome:
Click on the puzzle icon (Extensions) in the upper right hand corner, just to the right of the address bar. In the dropdown list, click on the pin next to the program to show the icon next to the Extension button.
Once the button shows you can click on it to see the details of the page you are currently viewing. You can also right click on the button to see more options.

Thank you … some progress. The icon is now visible on all pages. The only mystery is why I needed to explicitly make it visible on the laptop when everywhere else it is visible by default. But …

When the icon first appeared it said 341 blocked, but the ads still showed. I refreshed the page and the ad in the top block disappeared and was replaced by the word Advertisement … for 10 or 15 seconds and then the ad showed up again. When first refreshed the count of ads was in the 60 but then gradually climbs into the hundreds. Scrolling a bit farther down the page there is a gray box with the word Advertisement in it … for a few seconds and then the ad appears. On a subpage, the ads in the right column appear right away and the ones between stories appear after one scrolls that far on the page.

Maybe a different ad blocker?

Maybe a different ad blocker?

I use the Brave browser and uBlock Origin and see no ads. The word “Advertisement” does show in the top banner, in the gray box, and again on the left or right side when scrolling, but no ads.

Brave also contains the feature Speedreader (turn on or off) which removes unnecessary elements from pages it recognizes as articles.

George

The issue I’m having with ad blockers is that more and more websites are detecting that you are using one and will not allow you to use their site unless you turn it off.

PSU

4 Likes

While I appreciate the two recs, I was hoping someone knew how to prevent websites from knowing you are using an ad blocker.

PSU

I haven’t seen that type of warning since I switched to uBlock Origin.

will not allow you to use their site unless you turn it off.

Agreed, so I just make a decision of how much I want to access that site. In a few cases, I know that I am likely to keep getting references there to things I really want to read and will enable ads. Most of the time I just say “oh well”.

3 Likes

The issue I’m having with ad blockers is that more and more websites are detecting that you are using one and will not allow you to use their site unless you turn it off.

I wouldn’t call it a solution, but this is how I handle that.

The browser I do all my work in is Firefox, with AdBlock Plus. I regularly encounter please turn off your ad blocker messages. If I really want to read it, I click on a special shortcut I have set up for the purpose. The shortcut, which other might have to adapt for their use:

“C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” -incognito

That shortcut opens Chrome in Incognito mode. Key points:

-Chrome does not have an ad blocker installed.
-Chrome in Incognito mode does not save any cookies or history.
-While my main Firefox browser is always logged in to Google, I have NEVER logged into Google using Chrome, so Chrome does not really have much of my identity information.

Then I copy the URL from the Firefox window to the Chrome Incognito window, paste it, and GO. It also has sometimes helped with you have reached your limit for free access messages.

A PITA? Yup. But it beats turning off the ad blocker.

2 Likes

AdBlock Plus allows you to turn off adblocking for a specific page or the whole site (say for your bankaccount.com…).
Just click the icon on the browser and choose whichever option suits you. After doing what you need to do, click it again and turn it back on.
Simple and easy.

Now third-party cookies are a different matter. Tougher to get by, and some sites won’t let you in without allowing them.

uBlock Origen seems to be handling the Miss Manners site thus far. I still have boxes where the ads would be with the word Advertisement in them, which is less tidy than most sites, but I am guessing that is an artifact of how the site is coded, e.g., drawing a box around all advertisements and uBlock Origen not knowing about getting rid of the box too.

Thanks all!