What is the economic cost of illiteracy and ignorance?

2 Likes

The Mom in the linked article home schools her kids. Iā€™m not familiar with anyone that has home schooled. Iā€™ve known a lot of Momā€™s in my life, and not a single one that I can recall struck me as someone so well versed in academics and teaching, that they could completely take over the teaching job.

Science, Mathematics, and other areas are hard subjects to master, let alone have mastery in all of them such that you can teach them.

What is your opinion of Home Schooling ? ( I think Iā€™ve read that you were an educator, I could be wrong about that ).
People spend years going to school to learn advanced subjects, and also learn how to teach. A stay at home Mom or Dad can just step right in and replace teachers, and provide a quality education for their kids ?
( and that ignores the social learning that takes place in school, such as learning how to get along with different people, how to settle arguments,ā€¦ lots of stuff )

1 Like

No, they can not. Which is why there are companies selling ā€œhomeschooling softwareā€ and more. In many instances, it would not be a surprise if a lot of it was targeted at the ā€œreligious rightā€.

2 Likes

It teaches the young all they need to know, to polish the ā€œJCsā€ private jet. The sooner the spawn are out of school, the sooner they can go to work polishing those jets. Then all the money not spent on education can be handed over to the ā€œJCsā€.

Steveā€¦part of the 2025 thing is closing the Federal Dept of Education.

4 Likes

Dang there goes the Bible. Maybe we could just cut the ā€œbadā€ verses out?

Andy

Yes, as in Jeffersonā€™s version: "Jeffersonā€¦once said that the care he had taken to reduce the Gospels to their core message should prove that he was in fact, a ā€˜real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.ā€™ā€

Although Iā€™m not what anyone would call religious, if true believers actually read and followed the red-letter passages of the NT, weā€™d all be in a lot better shape.

Pete

1 Like

The official ā€œBibleā€ is, itself, a creation of committees that selected some of the stories that were floating around for inclusion, rejected others, then edited the daylights out of the thing.

Steve

2 Likes

Pastors now, report they can deliver a sermon directly quoting Jesus, and be criticized by members of the congregation for spewing ā€œwokeā€ ideas. Nothing new under the sun department: my dad commented, in the 60s, about the priest at his Catholic lodge preaching civil rights and equality, and being criticized by members of the congregation. Want to be popular? Tell the mob what it wants to hear, regardless of the truth. Fox Noise figured that out long ago.

Steve

5 Likes