WSJ EV BS

Transport Evolved uses a florid description… “Grade A Bovine byproduct!” She does acknowledge that it is more likely the result of cluelessness than a hit piece. But she talks too much so the link starts at 6:40

The Wall Street Journal Made A “Trip” By EV…And It Just Proved How Clueless People Are About EVs…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95zxgcRvII&t=400s

The Captain

Behind a paywall:

I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rented-an-electric-car-for-a-…

8 Likes

The clueless hit pieces on EV’s are really ramping up. Some people, or some industries, are getting nervous…

2 Likes

The clueless hit pieces on EV’s are really ramping up. Some people, or some industries, are getting nervous…

I’m willing to grant that authors might be clueless but serious papers like the WSJ is supposed to be, have editors whose job is to not let crap get printed. I suspect that the WSJ is a willing accessory.

The Captain

5 Likes

In what sense is the article clueless?

The article says that high speed charging stations can be hard to find. Charging is slower than promised. At this point not a good way to travel long distance.

Most agree EVs are most suitable for round town driving in an area you know. On the road is getting better but its an adventure.

They did not rent a Tesla, which people says does a better job getting you to the next fast charging station.

2 Likes

In what sense is the article clueless?

Did you watch the video I linked? The presenter explains the issue quite well.

They did not rent a Tesla, which people says does a better job getting you to the next fast charging station.

The video was not arguing for Tesla. The presenter said that Electrify America has lots of fast chargers on their route but they used an app owned by an Electrify America competitor that excludes Electrify America charging stations. This clearly indicates a lack of knowledge, i.e. cluelessness.

What I find disturbing is the WSJ publishing without fact checking.

The Captain

11 Likes

I’m willing to grant that authors might be clueless but serious papers like the WSJ is supposed to be, have editors whose job is to not let crap get printed. I suspect that the WSJ is a willing accessory.

====================================================

Rupert Murdoch has put WSJ in the category of junk media.

Jaak

3 Likes

No I don’t watch 6 minute videos. Need faster summary than that.

The presenter said that Electrify America has lots of fast chargers on their route

OK, so now its my fault because I bought a BetaMax? I should have done my research before the trip?

I’d say this industry has a problem dealing with the public.

3 Likes

Generally, with the exception of Tesla, all the participants are not on board with the idea of EVs.
Dealers would rather sell and service ICE cars. The (non-Tesla) car makers aren’t in the charging business so they don’t keep them working or tell customers anything about long distance fast charging. The software in the cars for long distance driving is spotty, at best and probably doesn’t do over the air updates yet.
I don’t know about renting an EV like they did for the article, but I doubt they provided any kind a quick start guide to long distance travel. If they did, then shame on the authors for willfully ignoring it. But they probably did little if anything.

Meanwhile, if you go to a Tesla service or sales center everyone that I’ve talked to knows a lot about the cars or where to get more info. The route planning in the car is top notch (based on a OTA update last year that allows multiple way points). But even before it was good, scheduling your Supercharger stops and automatically notifying you (15-30 minutes??) in advance it was starting to pre-condition the battery for maximum charging speed. Before this many used the independent A Better Route planner ( https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ) which started (I think) as a Tesla only tool, but has expanded to over 50 car brands.

So, yes, the “industry” has a problem. Too many people involved have no experience with EVs and too many people’s paychecks depend on not learning about them or supporting them.

Mike

4 Likes

No I don’t watch 6 minute videos. Need faster summary than that.

Fine by me.

OK, so now its my fault because I bought a BetaMax? I should have done my research before the trip?

You place your bets and takes your chances.

Yes, no instant gratification.

The Captain

2 Likes

Generally, with the exception of Tesla, all the participants are not on board with the idea of EVs.

So, yes, the “industry” has a problem. Too many people involved have no experience with EVs and too many people’s paychecks depend on not learning about them or supporting them.

A very nice summary of the “State of the EV.”

The Captain

1 Like

Selling someone a product sometimes helps if we don’t frown upon preferences or stifle those of opposite tastes.

As someone who personally was #1 in EV sales in 11 states for 2 years in a row before EV was cool…I can speak from experience. Converted many farmer types who had trucks and they adopted EV as 2nd vehicles.

Ditto solar. I didn’t do this one myself- but I’ve tagged along, watching how a territory rep got some true red-hat wearers to embrace solar - but appealing to their common sense and business acumen - not discarding their opinion.

Anyhow, not a dog in this fight anymore. This overall problem hasn’t been addressed - and it WON’T be addressed and the weather effects are a done deal - attitudes played a big part.

The only time EVs will be truly adopted - beyond “hey look there’s a waiting list! That means that a whopping 10% of new car sales will be EV!!. That means 1.6 million will be sold for the year and only 14.4 million fossil fuel cars will be sold - only 14.4 million”…is when all the mainstream OEMs solely offer those – and that will inevitably happen and then be mass adopted solely thru no other choice being offered. Too bad it didn’t happen before it was too late.

Sadly, it’s one more consumer product - that will be part of one’s political identity and therefore, alienate whole swaths of consumers.

2030-2035 it’ll become mainstream. (And then it’s a bit of time to cull most of the national fleet of gas cars…I’d say after the next major “war” or “surprise crash” - you’ll have another cash for clunkers round with this as the goal.

Surf’s up.

1 Like