Young adults living with parents

What surprised me was how many young adults are living with parents – 25% – and the fact that they are not really young – age 25-34. In previous generations, adults that age would have been married, established households and had their own children.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/07/20/young-adult…

Women over age 34 have decreased fertility. The increase in prime family age adults living like kids with their parents will be a decrease in the birth rate compared with the traditional arrangements. The Macro impact of a smaller future work force with increasing burdens from older generations will be devastating.

Wendy

2 Likes

Sounds preachy. I must FA this one.

Women over age 34 have decreased fertility. The increase in prime family age adults living like kids with their parents will be a decrease in the birth rate compared with the traditional arrangements. The Macro impact of a smaller future work force with increasing burdens from older generations will be devastating.

That’s why our government should spend as much effort on a skilled and unskilled labor immigration bill as they have on the chip subsidy and Medicare drug negotiability bills.

We desperately need educated and highly-skilled self-supporting immigrants willing to fill the thousands of technical jobs presently available. We also desperately need healthy, strong, able-bodied laborers to work in nursing homes, assisted living, childcare, hospital sanitation, waste management, landscape maintenance, painting, tile-laying, roofing, carpentry, HVAC, plumbing, car repair, vegetable produce, fruit picking, animal husbandry, slaughterhouses, food processing, freight loading, railway maintenance, quarrying, mining, water/sewer treatment, and an untold number of other muscular labor-dependent fields.

Based on the below-linked reported government figures, it appears that Southwest US Customs and Border Patrol officers have encountered 1,746,119 individuals coming across the border for dispersal across the nation during Fiscal Year 2022 (October-June). This figure does not, of course, include an unknown number of border-crossers who were able to pass unnoticed or successfully evade border enforcement officials.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/southwest-land-border-enc…

Retirements, deaths, and falling birthrate numbers among current US citizens need not be alarming. Productive immigrants are absolutely essential to overcoming the negative workforce demographic trends you correctly identify. With program planning, funding, and implementation, the US might be able to welcome not just unskilled hordes, but also multimillion numbers of voluntarily immigrating technical college, math, science, and engineering graduates from around the world.

At the very least, all border-crossers should be fingerprinted, identified, quarantined, examined, vaccinated, tested for disease, DNA-swabbed, and interviewed to inventory for skills and assignment to potential employers or to one of the thousands of government, NGO, and charitable organizations for gradual integration into the working population.

We need a January 6th-style funded and focused commission dedicated 24/7 to developing and promoting intelligently-designed border practices. We can develop policies and practices based on maximizing immigrant productivity, minimizing economic dependency, and mandatory completion of practical English language coursework.

With sufficient effort in Washington, D.C., the United States could within a matter of years, not decades, achieve a level of economic development, immigration, and individual productivity that could overcome the problems caused by retiring and childless Americans.

It’s not impossible if we re-direct our attention from destroying each other politically to training and developing a productive workforce immigration process. We MUST focus our attention on growing a productive population if we are not to devolve into a melee of scavengers picking over the bones of a successful nation-state that our forebears built for us but we failed to maintain.

7 Likes

“At the very least, all border-crossers should be fingerprinted, identified, quarantined, examined, vaccinated, tested for disease, DNA-swabbed”

Do you support that for current residents (including citizens) too?

1 Like

Was the nuclear family of the 20th century the aberration and we are returning to extended families?

7 Likes

Hound

Any reform immigration policy needs to start with Making Employers Liable for Hiring Illegal Workers and providing for real enforcement. The terrible truth is that unlike almost all of the civilized world the USA’s immigration program is deeply fraudulent, covertly designed to enhance profits prinarily for wealthy agro corporations and incidentally for construction and food and health services. This is kept in place by “balancing” by GOP to cheer racism and horrors and hopelessly unsuccessful walls and etc at the southern border.

I am puzzled as that sane smart persons like you address this issue without confronting this underlying bedrock of lies and self interested manipulative assinity?

Start with makin employment dependent on legality and all manner of crucial sane long term immigration policies will become extremely urgent and popular.

david fb

6 Likes

Was the nuclear family of the 20th century the aberration and we are returning to extended families?

I think there is a lot to this. Our son lived in the apartment downstairs until recently, and we miss him in a big way. None of us would be opposed to the same set up down the road when all are ready to settle down. The Pakistani neighbors across the street have 3 generations under one roof. Two doors down is a family with 2 of their 3 grown children living at home, though that’s an economic thing rather than what the parents would prefer. Two doors down the road from them is a family that added a second unit to their home so that the daughter and her family could move in…another with 3 generations. Two doors down in a different direction is another family that did the same thing so her parents could move in…another 3 generation home. This is all within a very short distance of each other, 4 of us on the same short road.

My parents moved in with my sister, having left a ritzy continuing care facility that they came to dislike. Better set up for them than Sis, but that’s a personality thing. My niece just had her daughter’s grandparents move in, even though she’s no longer married to their son.

Lots of different factors in these decisions, with the uniting factor that it’s nicer/easier to have everyone under the same roof.

IP
living in a pretty liberal community

4 Likes

What surprised me was how many young adults are living with parents – 25% – and the fact that they are not really young – age 25-34. In previous generations, adults that age would have been married, established households and had their own children.

My daughters don’t live at home. They live on the same street as I do but one of them owns the house. Both are single and plan to stay that way.

PSU

As successive generations of young adults in the United States cope with rising student debt and housing costs, multigenerational living is increasingly providing a respite from the storm. A quarter of U.S. adults ages 25 to 34 resided in a multigenerational family household in 2021, up from 9% in 1971.
[Link]

We desperately need educated and highly-skilled self-supporting immigrants willing to fill the thousands of technical jobs presently available.
This brings up the point how many of these kids living at home past the age of 25 And are paying off huge student loans got a degree that has no employment application.

If you’re gonna spend 4 to 6 years in college make sure it counts towards a profession or vocation that is going to allow you to raise a family and be autonomous.

I have a daughter who spent 5 years in college and got her CPA
In order to sit for the CPA you have to have an extra year of college
She’s been working 5 years just got a big promotion $45k increase with bonus and salary.

She has a cousin that’s one year older he spent 5 and a 1/2 years in college and got an NBA
He has struggled for years to find a decent paying job.
He works for enterprise managing one of their rental agencies and probably gets paid a 3rd of what his cousin gets paid.

Getting a degree in communications or NBA or fine arts unless you know somebody that’s going to give you a job or your network in somehow is a big big big mistake

2 Likes

TucsonBones writes,

She has a cousin that’s one year older he spent 5 and a 1/2 years in college and got an NBA

He has struggled for years to find a decent paying job.
He works for enterprise managing one of their rental agencies and probably gets paid a 3rd of what his cousin gets paid.

What’s an NBA? I’m assuming he’s not playing basketball for a living.

intercst

1 Like

What’s an NBA?

HaHa, yeah!? He just can’t hit threes?

Sorry, ::autocorrect:: took over, didn’t notice till submitted

MBA program

he is 6’4" and played some in HS. Couldn’t make the team @ UCSB.