You're on your own

When it comes to the pandemic, nobody is in charge. Never before in my life have I seen the authorities acting like such clueless wimps. This reminds me of those horror movies in which the police, parents, principal, camp director, and other authority figures deny the existence of Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, or some other mass murderer in hiding.

When it comes to assessing the threat level, you’re on your own. The pandemic won’t end simply because people declare it to be over. Not only is the pandemic still going on, there’s a new surge that isn’t officially captured. The wastewater viral loads are increasing markedly in most of the US and just recently peaked in the Northeast at a level several times higher than that of the March low.

Even after the current surge fades away, the world is on track for new ones sooner or later. There are still unvaccinated people out there, and their numbers don’t seem to be shrinking much. The unboosted people aren’t rushing to get boosted. It will be some time before newer and better vaccines become available.

“Natural immunity” doesn’t work. If it did, the pandemic would have been over a year ago, and each of the surges since then would never have happened. And unlike normal cold and flu outbreaks of the past, COVID-19 doesn’t just mysteriously disappear without explanation.

Face masks do work. Masking up is preferable to physical distancing. In my multi-step reopening process, dropping physical distancing comes ahead of not masking up. If you hate masking up, the solution is to switch to a different mask (that works better for you) or to find some hack that gives you good protection without the discomfort and inconvenience that you hate. To be fair, the need to mask up encourages physical distancing for myself by prompting me to question how essential it is that I go there.

There’s still no dialogue about Vitamin D, selenium, or consuming a healthier diet. At first, I assumed that the authorities wanted to keep the message simple enough to be printed on a bumper sticker and were afraid of confusing people with too much information or giving people an excuse to disregard the need for physical distancing and masking up. But it’s all too clear that people won’t even look for any excuse to drop the official precautions.

Some lessons for life in general:

1. Don’t use the “everyone else does/does not” excuse. It’s clear that the world is full of sheep.
  2. Don’t use the “nobody told me to do it/not do it” excuse. Sometimes, the authorities are clueless or are too wimpy to do their jobs.
  3. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Joe Rogan is an example. He’s a blooming idiot, but I’m not going to quit my Vitamin D supplementation just to spite him. I wouldn’t be independent if I insisted on doing the opposite of everything he does.
6 Likes
  1. It is NOT the “Black Death”.

2. The entire data pile that has been accumulated is suspect, not the least of which are the numbers that purport to ascribe cause of death being Covid.

3. The virus will be with us (the world) “forever”, just like other viruses that have been around for multi-decades.

5 Likes

“2. The entire data pile that has been accumulated is suspect, not the least of which are the numbers that purport to ascribe cause of death being Covid.”

Probably true if you are referring to the fact that deaths from Covid are being significantly UNDERcounted:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6…

4 Likes

In the United States:

https://www.news.vcu.edu/article/2022/04/us-life-expectancy-….

“U.S. life expectancy decreased from 78.86 years in 2019 to 76.99 years in 2020 and 76.60 years in 2021, a net loss of 2.26 years, according to the study, “Changes in Life Expectancy Between 2019 and 2021: United States and 19 Peer Countries,” which was published online Thursday but has not yet been peer reviewed.”

2 Likes

There is good news. The majority of Covid deaths are unvaccinated:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/dying-covid-unvaccinated/story…

Luckily, those who minimize the risk of Covid are killing mostly themselves.

4 Likes

Masking up is preferable to physical distancing.

I disagree.
When I go out for a walk in my neighborhood I’d rather not wear a mask and stay at least 10 or 20 feet away from anyone than to wear a mask and get close to them.
Sure, when I go into a store I wear a mask because I can’t be sure I’ll be able to be distanced.

Mike

3 Likes

I’d rather not wear a mask and stay at least 10 or 20 feet away from anyone than to wear a mask and get close to them.

Sure, when I go into a store I wear a mask because I can’t be sure I’ll be able to be distanced.

Hi Mike!

Round these parts of Texas people on walks tend to follow your example and stay 10 to 20 feet away from each other on the sidewalks.

Indoors, on my last visit to Costco day before yesterday, it seemed about 70% were mask-less. Only the Costco employees were 100% masked.

There is good news. The majority of Covid deaths are unvaccinated

At the same time, the percentage of vaccinated deaths has been growing.

www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/04/29/covid-deaths-unvacc…
The vaccinated made up 42% of fatalities in January and February during the highly contagious omicron variant’s surge, compared with 23% of the dead in September, the peak of the delta wave, according to nationwide data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed by The Post…

“It’s still absolutely more dangerous to be unvaccinated than vaccinated,” said Andrew Noymer, a public health professor at the University of California at Irvine who studies covid-19 mortality. “A pandemic of — and by — the unvaccinated is not correct. People still need to take care in terms of prevention and action if they became symptomatic.”

A key explanation for the rise in deaths among the vaccinated is that covid-19 fatalities are again concentrated among the elderly.

DB2

Masking up is preferable to physical distancing.

I disagree.
When I go out for a walk in my neighborhood I’d rather not wear a mask and stay at least 10 or 20 feet away from anyone than to wear a mask and get close to them.

My examples of dropping physical distancing measures are these:

• Going to the barbershop instead of cutting my own hair: I was cutting my own hair before I was vaccinated and at the height of this past winter’s big surge.
  • Going to fireworks and parades, playing sports, and meeting with friends for outdoor activities

Except when there was excessive smoke pollution last summer, I didn’t mask up for walks around my neighborhood because it was easy to keep at least 6 feet away from everyone else.

Yes, Covid deaths are increasingly concentrated among the elderly:

“Nearly two-thirds of the people who died during the omicron surge were 75 and older, according to a Post analysis, compared with a third during the delta wave. Seniors are overwhelmingly immunized, but vaccines are less effective and their potency wanes over time in older age groups.”

But… the bulk of the vaccinated deaths are not boosted:

"The bulk of vaccinated deaths are among people who did not get a booster shot, according to state data provided to The Post. In two of the states, California and Mississippi, three-quarters of the vaccinated senior citizens who died in January and February did not have booster doses.

So… a majority of the Covid deaths are unvaccinated.

A majority of the vaccinated Covid deaths are not boosted.

If you are a senior your odds of survival are greatly enhanced by getting vaccinated and boosted.

I tire of arguing about it. Free will as long as you harm only yourself. The vast majority of Covid deaths are not boosted.

The majority of gun killings are suicides.

There is a silver lining in every cloud?

2 Likes

Yes, Covid deaths are increasingly concentrated among the elderly:

The elderly tend to die sooner than the young ones. I wonder why? Having more experience the elderly should manage better and live longer… Strange… By age 100 we should be immortal!

The Captain

1 Like

More people vaccinated. If the number of unvaccinated in the 65 and up group are only 5%, but make up 58% of the mortality… then it’s all about getting the vaccine.

3 Likes