Zeihan on Putin Removal

https://zeihan.com/the-russian-coup-question/
It doesn’t matter. Russian aggression against Ukraine is not unique to President Putin. The weakness of Russian geography shapes Russian geopolitical imperatives. The Soviet Union had no shortage of horrors it was willing to inflict on Ukrainians to keep them close and subjugated. Imperial Russia’s leaders had similar expansionist tendencies as Putin today. The desire to control Ukraine is not Putin’s particular bit of fancy; it’s been a part of Russian regional strategy for centuries.

And the sanctions upon Russia are unable to inflict enough pain upon Russia. Upon Germany is another matter.
Oil continues to flow from Russia. Natural gas flow to the EU is cut though inflicting much pain to EU economies.

3 Likes

Perhaps I’m being naive - but since this whole thing started - I’ve been secretly hoping that if it ever comes down to crunch time, meaning - potential non conventional weapons exchange being the only option left on the table…I keep hoping that between the US, Germans, Brits and others - we have a few Generals either on the payroll or on the Christmas Card list who would go to Putin and simply say “nope, not launching. The people want an economy, not contests designed to distract. Sir, it’s time to take your billions, go enjoy more wine women and song… but it’s over today”.

OR, whether it’s right nor not. Whether we like it or not - Western powers who usually let money dictate things go to Ukraine and say “sorry, it’s not worth us nor you dying over this. Make your best deal with the jerk, and let’s call it a day”.

PM Macron has indeed made some comments to that effect.

1 Like

OR, whether it’s right nor not. Whether we like it or not - Western powers who usually let money dictate things go to Ukraine and say “sorry, it’s not worth us nor you dying over this. Make your best deal with the jerk, and let’s call it a day”.

Maybe it’s worth a try … let Putin keep some parts and then we will have peace for our time.