Air Force Pilot Shortage

Amazon and FedEx watching with great interest. The savings from taking the pilot out of the cockpit falls directly to Executive Compensation.

Air Force Testing Autonomous Control on Transport Planes amid Pilot Shortage
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/07/21/air-force-tes…

intercst

1 Like

Air Force Testing Autonomous Control on Transport Planes amid Pilot Shortage

Well, if the Air Force needs test pilots for the F-35, sign me up!!!

Of course, it would probably only be for one flight, and a short one at that.

AW

3 Likes

Of course, it would probably only be for one flight, and a short one at that.

AW

Flying is easy, I got a fair bit of stick time in a Sea King helo when we spent a week “counting polar bears” on Mansel Island and the two pilots (both crew commander qualified) took turns being crew commander for a day. Their idea of fun was to wait till I was comfortable in the seat then punch off the ASE system. }};-@

After a couple of days I realized the two pilots hated each other and took pleasure in ordering the other guy to get out of his seat and give Tim some stick time. I told them to fly their own damn airplane.

The hard part comes with taking off or landing on a ships deck (often at night) or when the avionics are acting up. I never got to try that … with good reason but heard some nasty muttering on the intercom when wind and sea states made it really difficult and the LSO was having a tough time with the hauldown and beartrap system.

Tim

Mansel Island

Mansel Island, a member of the Arctic Archipelago, is an uninhabited island in Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut. It is located in Hudson Bay off of Quebec's Ungava Peninsula

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ch-124-sea…

While most other navies only operated such large helicopters from aircraft carriers, the RCN embarked the Sea Kings on their helicopter-carrying destroyers (DDH). To do so, they developed the “beartrap” hauldown system, which allowed the helicopter to land safely and quickly, even on a rolling deck.

2 Likes