Are there covid superdodgers?

We know there are HIV superdodgers. People who, after multiple exposures to HIV just are immune.
And, we know why.
[Read the article]

Some people who have been exposed to covid, never exhibit symptoms. Why not?

So you haven’t caught COVID yet. Does that mean you’re a superdodger?
September 7, 20224:06 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/09/07/1121599…

After analyzing DNA from more than 1,400 people, they identified a mutation that helps a person clear out a SARS-CoV-2 so fast that their body doesn’t have a chance to develop symptoms.

The mutation occurs in a gene called HLA, which is critical during the earliest stages of infection. Hollenbach and her colleagues found that having a particular mutation in that gene increases a person’s chance of being asymptomatic by almost 10 times. They reported those preliminary findings online last September.

Essentially, in those who have the HLA mutation, a prior exposure to a different coronavirus kicks off an immune response that also protects against Sars-Cov2.

Fascinating!
:alien:
ralph

12 Likes

So you haven’t caught COVID yet. Does that mean you’re a superdodger?

I think it means I have a lousy social life.

7 Likes

The mutation occurs in a gene called HLA, which is critical during the earliest stages of infection. Hollenbach and her colleagues found that having a particular mutation in that gene increases a person’s chance of being asymptomatic by almost 10 times. They reported those preliminary findings online last September.

Is there a way for ban individual to find this out for themself? I’ve not had it, but then I’ve been pretty careful. It would be wonderful to go back in time to those days when we just walked into stores and had people over to the house without worrying about, you know, dying.

2 Likes