Braided cables anyone?

Does anyone actually like the new braided USB cables everyone is making now? I find they tend to twist and kink up more than the old kind.

1 Like

Me. I find them less prone to sharp bends, and the strain relief on the ones I’ve used are far better than any of my older cables.

5 Likes

I like the new Apple iPhone cables so far. Whether dirt and “stuff” gets caught into them is yet to be determined. A couple of years ago there were some Anker charging cables that I did not like.

Yeah, I do, but not exclusively. They are less likely to kink and they stand up better to being run over the Roomba; on the other hand they are less flexible, so don’t work as well in a confined setting (like from the cigarette lighter to the phone in a car.)

But the un-braided ones fray at the plug and I have had to throw out several over time, I don’t think I’ve ever tossed a braided one for that reason. (I have an electric lounge chair which used to trap the older cords between the cushion and then snap off the end as I opened or closed the chair; it’s never happened with the braided version, for instance.)

5 Likes

I guess it’s just me then. The braided ones just feel flimsier and more likely to incur sharp folds, more like rope than “cable”. But I don’t treat any of the cables I have very harshly so perhaps I just have no experience with the pitfalls of the old cables.

1 Like

The thing I don’t care for with the braided cables is the stiffness…doc

edit: one thing I encountered with the old cables is one got a little nick in the insulation that did not affect how it performed but it was a little cut from a pinch

2 Likes

I have old plain cables that are thin and flexible, and others that are thick and stiff. They vary all over the lot. The braided ones I have tend to fall between, but with far less variation.

1 Like

Early (Apple) charge cords fell apart, generally near the device end, insulation cover just fell apart, later it was better, but stiffer, along the way I went to 3rd party braided, more voices of color, length… If any give me trouble, gone into the elec wast bin… Cables fail, cubes fail, I went more for using magnetic charging, less direct connecting… Many options…

2 Likes