Florida is seeing a partial trucker boycott

Spoken like a politician LOL. If this isn’t an indictment of politics in Florida I am not sure what does.

Andy

Yeah, that’s not likely to happen. Trucking is a fractured and independent industry to begin with. A handful of truckers claiming they’re going to boycott Florida is not the same as an actual, meaningful boycott of Florida. I don’t think Publix or Sysco are going to have any trouble arranging for their logistics.

2 Likes

So are you saying the law does not include Agriculture licenses? What if people turn in agriculture business to force them to comply?

Andy

Latinos are only 20% give or take of the truckers. White truckers are about 57%.

We know how white men use a situation. LOL You will end up with higher trucking rates.

Turning a blind eye to immigration violations is hardly a Florida phenomenon. Arguably the reason why we have the type of immigration situation we have is because there are lots of broad-based constituencies that benefit from not enforcing existing regulations.

4 Likes

Us Irish folks have come here illegally for eons. No one cares.

Right Albaby but Florida is saying they are going to fix it. So if you turn a blind eye it is just business as usual. Nothing has changed. What you are saying is that Desantis is blowing smoke.

Andy

That’s correct. The law allows the Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) to revoke employer licenses that are issued by the DEO as the “death penalty” sanction. So if your restaurant gets caught with too many undocumented line cooks, DEO can pull your license and shut you down. But agricultural operations don’t pull licenses from the DEO - they pull their licenses, as you might expect, from the Department of Agriculture. Which licenses aren’t included in that provision of the bill.

2 Likes

But there is very little ag.

Why bother? Because it can harass people.

No, I don’t think so. I think they’re going to make a serious effort to try to clamp down on undocumented folks living in Florida, and make their lives very difficult.

I do think, however, that they’ve deliberately left themselves the ability to make sure that the communities that are firmly in the GOP coalition can be spared the worst of it. For example, given how notorious the role of migrant farm workers is in the agricultural industry, the omission of Department of Agriculture licenses from the civil enforcement side (as opposed to other licenses) has to be a deliberate choice by the Legislature. Since Florida - like most states - has a pronounced rural/urban skew in partisan affiliation, I suspect that’s intended to make sure that the status quo in rural areas isn’t as deeply affected as perhaps the restaurants and hoteliers of Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale.

2 Likes

That is not what this video is stating

Nor this video.

So it looks like you can not even transport Illegals, so any farmer taking them to the fields would be covered under this law. I wonder what the bounty is?

Andy

The media is notoriously bad at accurately reporting legal or legislative matters. You can read the text of the bill here:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/1718

But…on closer read, that section is a bit more of a mess than the legislative summaries suggest. Only DEO is given enforcement jurisdiction to suspend or revoke licenses…however, the language does say all licenses by any state agency. The problem, though, is that DEO doesn’t have the authority to revoke licenses issued by another agency - that sort of thing isn’t really allowed under Chapter 120, which is our state-level Administrative Procedure Act. So while one could make an argument that other licenses might be subject to suspension or revocation, I don’t think the State will be able to do that.

Dollars to donuts that this gets addressed in the (inevitable) glitch bill on this next session.

I think you are focused on DEO but haven’t taken this into account.

** Abill working its way through the Florida Legislature would criminalize the “knowing and willful” transportation of undocumented immigrants “into or within” the state. If enacted, Senate Bill (SB) 1718 could impact Florida’s hospitality and agricultural sectors.**

and this.

SB 1718 would amend Title XLVI of the Florida Statutes, Section 787.07, to provide criminal penalties for “persons who knowingly and willfully violate, or who reasonably should know and who violate, certain provisions relating to the transporting into or within [Florida]” of illegal immigrants. The proposed amendment would also criminalize the “concealing, harboring, or shielding from detection, or the attempt thereof,” of undocumented immigrants. These actions would be considered a third-degree felony under the proposed amendment.

and this.

A separate offense would be committed for each undocumented immigrant transported, concealed, harbored, or shielded from detection. An individual “who commits five or more separate offenses” during a single episode could be charged with a second-degree felony.

The proposed amendment would require those arrested for its violation to be held in custody until their appearance in court for pretrial release.

I do not see how this can not effect every job in Florida, unless you turn a blind eye to the law as you suggested before.

Andy

Agriculture is 1.5% of Florida GDP.

1 Like

Almost by definition, everyone currently working in Florida unlawfully is already physically in Florida. So a law that criminalizes transportation of undocumented people knowing their undocumented status is unlikely to materially affect the vast majority of current workers in Florida.

It might stem the flow of folks into the State….though again, I question how much of a priority this is going to end up being for local law enforcement. One reason we have large numbers of undocumented workers already (in Florida and elsewhere) is because there’s a lot of incentives for enforcement agencies to not enforce.

I wonder if anyone happened to check the size of the companies that most ilegal immigrants work at. My guess is that the 25 is not a random number and that the law was drafted specifically not to have a large impact.

Cheers
Qazulight

4 Likes

Albaby, Let us say you are undocumented. You live in Florida, You ask me to take you to work. I give you a ride and the police pull me over. Am I not transporting an Undocumented person?

If that is the case are not the people in Florida able to realize this is just a ruse?

Andy

Good catch Qazu, that means this would have a much more meaningful affect on agriculture than restaurants. As I suspect that a lot more people work for each farm are illegal as it is hard to get 25 illegals working at one restaurant.

Andy

Right Mark but if they really implement this and it isn’t just a bandaid, then we shouldn’t see any illegals in Florida. But I suspect it is just like albaby states, this is just a ruse and nothing will change.

Andy

It is almost definitely BS … it’s politics after all.