Travel warning issued for Black Americans in Florida

**Julia Shapero
Sat, May 20, 2023 at 7:08 PM PDT
The NAACP issued a formal travel advisory for Florida on Saturday, saying the state has become “hostile to Black Americans” under Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) leadership.

“On a seeming quest to silence African-American voices, the Governor and the State of Florida have shown that African Americans are not welcome in the State of Florida,” the travel advisory reads.**

Looks like Florida is having some problem.

Andy

7 Likes

That was on the news here in metro Detroit too. The truth is most of the southeast has been “hostile” to Blacks since about forever. That is why there are so many Blacks that live in northern states now: driven out of the south by the bigotry, segregation, and lack of opportunity. Talk to people who have lived their entire life in a majority Black area of Detroit, to this day, and you still often hear artifacts of a southern accent.

Steve

3 Likes

But see:

4 Likes

So, is a larger portion of the Black community moving south, than white? Are they following the “jobs” as “JCs” try to flee unions, worker’s rights, and taxes? Of course, the new wave of “thought leaders” in the south want to turn back the clock, outlaw discussion of racism and slavery, and disenfranchise minority voters. Do the educated northern Blacks realize what they are getting themselves into, when they move south? Their great grandparents are no longer around to remind them what it was like in the south 100 years ago.

Steve

2 Likes

[quote=“buynholdisdead, post:1, topic:92656”]
The NAACP issued a formal travel advisory for Florida
[/quote]

All political show with no real sustenance. The NAACP chairman lives in Tampa. Why doesn’t he move? Like the Hollywood types that threatened to leave the USA if their political opponent got elected. Didn’t see anyone leave then either.

(Florida GOP offers to move NAACP chairman, a Tampa resident, out-of-state after travel advisory)

6 Likes

Per the article, in 1900, 90% of blacks lived in the south. In 1970, it reached a low of 53%. In the last 70 years, that number has crawled back to 57%.

Migration? Sure.

Great migration? Not so sure.

I’m too lazy to do the research, but it seems to me to just be part of the general exodus from the NE to other warmer and sunnier parts of the country (not to mention more job opportunities - wait a second, I just DID mention it). Something I can relate to during Jan and Feb here in the NE (at least the warmth and sun, not jobs. I love retirement).

2 Likes

Good point - it seems roughly the same order of magnitude, though I too am too lazy to check…

Oops. Make that 50 years, not 70.

Good catch, AW. LOL.

And in economic news, Florida tourism numbers hit an all-time record last quarter.

DB2

3 Likes

That is like asking why Martin Luther King didn’t leave Atlanta. It is their state, their country, and nobody is going to run them out. They are going to stay and keep fighting. Something that should have been long gone since slavery and bigotry lost in the Civil War. It’s like John Lewis said, their is good trouble, necessary trouble. As long as we have people standing against the constitution of the United States, there will always be people willing to stand up to them.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Some people wouldn’t understand that it takes someone with a back bone to stand up to a mob and fight back without turning tail and running.

Andy

8 Likes

DrBob2,
This has nothing to do with Tourism numbers, this is about Florida being designated a place that is unsafe for Black people. Please stay on topic.

Andy

6 Likes

Well, it is a travel warning and this is an economics discussion board. Many of the people traveling to Florida are tourists. (Leisure travel spending in Florida is some five times greater than business travel spending.) Thus, the impact of the warning should be to decrease travel to the ‘danger zone’. Assuming people pay attention to this, Orlando and Disney could be affected unless black people don’t go to Disney World much.

DB2

2 Likes

Jim Crow 2.0 is bringing back The Green Book.

7 Likes

But it makes him an expert on the ground into how much pressure of bigotry black Floridians face. I get using things to mock instead of to fix is a thing.

1 Like

Florida is so hostile towards blacks/people of color, they lead the nation in per capita of black owned businesses and are second in the nation for hispanic owned businesses and second for women owned businesses. Seems like whitey is doing a terrible job of holding the man/woman/whatever down.

Again, all political posturing. There are now pics of NAACP leaders vacationing in, wait for it, Florida.

6 Likes

Would love to see where you are getting that data. I can’t find Florida ranked #1 or #2 in any of the following - even though the data will of course have a bias toward Florida in the case of Hispanics simply because they have the third highest population of such.

A look at Black-owned businesses in the US by sector, state and more | Pew Research Center.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/best-states-hispanic-owned-businesses/

Women-Owned Business Ownership in America on the Rise | U.S. Department of Commerce.

Florida is at least ranked in the top 10 for this one but still 5th overall.

4 Likes

Florida’s continued attack on marginalized communities will not bode well for their economy. These things take some time to pan out.

7 Likes

So? Americans can be all over the United States vacationing. They are Americans. But it doesn’t mean they feel comfortable. Try going to California with a swastika on your shirt and see just how comfortable you will feel.

Andy

2 Likes

Andy,

You mentioned the bigger point…“Americans”…not everyone is decent enough to see it that way.

1 Like

When I was 5 years old my family took me back to my birthplace in Ft. Monroe, VA. Afterwards we went on to Jamestown historical park. I was thirsty. I found a water fountain and drank from it. I was stopped mid-drink and scolded by an angry white woman who, berating me, pulled my hand from the faucet and tried to pull me from the “colored” over to the “white” fountain, which was a fancy electric cooler type hidden under a pleasant shading roof with a drain instead of mud underneath. Silently, I fought her grip, and went back to finish my drink. I wasn’t being doctrinaire, I simply was thirsty and liked mud. She then went to upbraid my mother about my faulty upbringing. Big Mistake.

Up until recently I thought permanent change had been accomplished. Hah.

david fb
(went back to Dixie numerous times in my 20’s through 40’s to accompany lovers and friends who had fled, and to help organize Gay Rights operations including suicide prevention hot lines. “Those people” tried to shut those down too, and sometimes succeeded. Went to a monastery for a week at the turn of the Millenium to work on my fury and rage and hatred of “those people”, and the monks mostly succeeded. Prayer and meditation and hard learned patience probably saved me jail time.)

4 Likes