gmail emails all blank when opened!

Losing my mind!
On my laptop, all gmail emails I open are blank!
I Googled help and tried the things I found. Cleared cache and cookies and browsing history. Auto reply is NOT on. Still no luck. Any ideas? This is NOT happening in the same gmail account on my desktop. I have rebooted.
Thanks

Try opening Gmail in a different browser.

1 Like

It works “incognito” and in another browser.
But I figured it out just this second. It’s the damn ad blocker I added the other day! But it has been working fine until now. So for some reason, days after installing it, it does this weird thing. ALL emails blank.
Needless to say, I’ll remove uBlock Origin.

Needless to say, I’ll remove uBlock Origin.

That may solve your immediate problem, but does not address the real problem (whatever it is). Perhaps a less extreme approach might just be to disable uBlockOrigin on the gmail web site.

I have been using uBlock Origin for years with my Firefox web browser with good results and no problems. But I use Thunderbird as my e-mail user agent, not Firefox.

1 Like

The way I see it, the “real problem” is uBlock doesn’t work with gmail. Ublock is the problem for my situation. Goodbye ublock. If I want an ad blocker, I’ll try something else.

The way I see it, the “real problem” is uBlock doesn’t work with gmail. Ublock is the problem for my situation. Goodbye ublock. If I want an ad blocker, I’ll try something else.

Feel free to do whatever you like.

But first, were I using gmail with a web browser for e-mail and uBlock treating all the emails as advertizing, I would just tell uBlock to ignore gmail. That is extremely easy with uBlock.

2 Likes

I think, since it’s only doing this on the one device, I would first update Ublock. Ie “fix” some glitch that has wormed its way into the instructions.

If that doesn’t work - then uninstall - reinstall.

If that doesn’t fix it… then JeanDavid’s suggestion tell uBlock to ignore gmail. That is extremely easy with uBlock.

Or maybe try a different ad blocker?

FWIW
:alien:
ralph

I had (still have) this issue in Firefox with Ublock. Chrome with Ublock does not have this issue so it more likely FF issue not really Ublock.

Is it any surprise that Ublock and advertising-king cookie-monster Google gmail aren’t playing nice?
Get an email only app like Thunderbird.

3 Likes

Bump to Thunderbird. Been using it 15+ years. Super solid. Has all the bells and whistles I need.

Charlie Brown

2 Likes

That is kinda an ignorant reply buddy. Not everyone uses Windows. Not everyone likes using apps.

And you missed the part where it works fine in Chrome with ABP and Ublock.

It is a firefox issue not an adblocker issue.

1 Like

90% of the problems with Ublock Origin are with one of the filter lists; it’s possible one of the lists you have enabled for Ublock Origin has a filter that is blocking gmail content.

In any case, I just checked and I have Ublock Origin set to not filter on gmail. (Call up a gmail page, click on the Ublock Origin shield, click on the On/Off icon (the big broken circle with a vertical line on top), and then click on the page reload symbol that appears just right of the On/Off icon.)

2 Likes