GNK 8.27 10.22
FLNG 15.82 7.69
GSL 6.76 6.67
BDRY 6.24 9.77
GRIN 1.42 0.87

All the ideas, including the BDRY index with a token 1c/qtr, pay a dividend

2 Likes

Per 9/30/22 -
Four ideas - TNP-E, NMM, FLNG, GRIN (positive excluding div)
One idea - GOGL (positive with div)

On 10/5/22-
SBLK turned positive (if div are included)

1 Like

$BDI weekly and monthly charts

1 Like

Q3 has traditionally been the BDI’s strongest Q in the cycle. This year, that will likely not be the case. As I was putting together my Q3 summary, there was a tinge of regret regarding SBLK. As a major holding, it was the only shipping one in which I did not realize major capital gains. GOGL, ZIM, FLNG - all have wonderful gains in 2022. That said, I don’t think the SBLK story is done - lots of upside with a fleet of over 115 scrubber-fitted vessels. GNK, with its very low leverage, is also appealing

1 Like

10/10
Third shipping nibble in Q4 - more GSL.
Following GNK and SBLK additions last week

10/15
Multiple shipping broker sources report recent 2nd hand container vessel sales (using Seasure here)

Given the collapse of the container shipping spot market on one major aggregate route (Asia-to-US-West-Coast), I am a little puzzled why a liner company would still pay a premium on 2nd hand tonnage over 12-years old? The newbuild orderbook is weighted towards the larger CV sizes. So, in particular, why pay $85M for the “Northern Jasper”? Then again, the liner company involved in all three transactions is #1 liner company - MSC. With all their existing routes, perhaps MSC, has a specific need for each vessel?

Follow-up article I posted on “Value Hounds” board–

If I see a few more container vessel sales the next few weeks, I might try and update GSL numbers again

10/17 - Pondered on GOGL
10/18 - Trimmed GOGL on the bounce
Even though Q3 BDI did not play out as in a normal cycle, GOGL should have decent results. At least, that’s what the Q2 “look ahead” suggested with Q3 to-date averages. Having realized a bunch of LT losses elsewhere recently, it seemed okay to realize some gains and plan a re-group of the GOGL thesis.