I bought a new i-Phone ...

to replace my aging android. One issue affects my computer. Yahoo wants to use a second party authentication to let me log in to my e-mail (actually to log in to yahoo). It wants to send it to my android which account no longer exists. Any suggestions? I think I will go back to the store and ask for help. May need to bring the computer with me? Meanwhile I can’t use Yahoo on the computer.

Android acct? What? I have had 2 Samsungs (droids) and never had or needed an “Android acct”. Can you clarify? Did you get a new # with the phone?

Can you get to the Yahoo acct, via the phone? …via any way? If so, I suspect settings need to be changed there to reflect the new text#/alt email/ect…

2 Likes

There’s several different possibilities here and we’ll need more detail.

Is Yahoo asking to send an authentication request to a separate email account, SMS number (text message), 2FA (two-factor authentication like Google Authenticator or Authy) or the Yahoo App on the old android?

Unless you have the old android, I’m not sure that going to the phone store will help since this is a Yahoo security process.

What exactly is it saying when trying to login?

Phaz

1 Like

What exactly is it saying when trying to login?

Phaz

it says

Open any Yahoo app.
Tap on the
Account Key icon.

Get Account Key code and enter here.

I still have the android.

CNC

Android acct? What? I have had 2 Samsungs (droids) and never had or needed an “Android acct”. Can you clarify? Did you get a new # with the phone?

Hmmm. I said it doesn’t exist, meaning I can’t get my mail there and I can’t send mail from there. (Or it doesn’t arrive.)

CNC

Hmmm. I said it doesn’t exist, meaning I can’t get my mail there and I can’t send mail from there. (Or it doesn’t arrive.)

How about “I’ve had one Android phone or another for more than 15 years and I’ve never even HEARD OF an ‘Android account’?”

How about “I’ve had one Android phone or another for more than 15 years and I’ve never even HEARD OF an ‘Android account’?”

How about “It has no SIM card.”?

I don’t use Yahoo, but I’m familiar with what they’re doing here.

You can read more information about their Account Key here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN25781.html

My guess is that the Account Key was setup on the Yahoo app so it could bypass using a password. Turn the android on and see if the Yahoo app is installed. You should be able to do this over Wi-Fi and not need to have a SIM installed since cellular isn’t a requirement.

Failing that working to get the key, check out the suggestions here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fix-issues-yahoo-account-key-sln25…

They have several things to attempt to try to get you back in. The old Android I’m guessing will be the key here since the computer and your new phone isn’t working.

Best of Luck

Phaz

1 Like

Okay. Does the old Android phone still function as a handheld computer? (Odds are high it will, but I’m not 100% certain.) Do you have a wifi hotspot it can connect to? If so, you should be able to use it to connect to your Yahoo account - and, hopefully, with that additional access you can get things figured out so your iPhone also can access that account.

1 Like

warrl: Does the old Android phone still function as a handheld computer? (

That would be affirmative.

Do you have a wifi hotspot it can connect to?

No. I also see that I don’t know how to make the iPhone act like a hotspot. (I could do that with the android.)

Do you have a wifi hotspot it can connect to?

Check that. My computer works off a local wifi.

CNC

OK, but it's still a mini computer. Just need wifi now. No data plan attached... find a hotspot/network and attach. I'd use my home ISP/router... do with an older Samsung that Mrs PL replaced. It still works great, just need a hookup via wifi. Yours will/should still work great...

Keep us posted...
1 Like

Eureka! My wife came to my rescue. She fiddled with the android and got it to use toe local wi-fi. I think I need for the i-phone to get the Yahoo connexion.

Thanks again to this board. You are patient to help an old guy.

CNC

1 Like

GREAT! Glad to hear… I think this is resolved. Let us know if I’m wrong. (o;

2 Likes