Investing in Apple stuff

I am assuming that with the closing of the valuable support boards some of us are both AAPL and Apple equipment investors. One of the sites that I find useful for my Apple stuff investment is OSX Daily. They send out a daily email addressing some question about how to use or maintain just about ever Apple product. Yesterday’s was about using the search feature on iOS devices.

https://osxdaily.com/2022/04/25/how-control-f-search-iphone-…

You can sign up for the daily newsletter at that page.

Another extremely useful site and news letter for the care and feeding of Apple stuff is TidBits. They send out a weekly newsletter. One of the most useful parts of it is a list of Apple and third party software that has been updated. You can sign up for it under the “Get TidBits” menu.

https://tidbits.com

Apple stuff since 1984, Apple //e
AAPL since 1997

4 Likes

Thanks. I just signed up for emails from both sites.

You’re welcome.

Many resources out there, the shame is to have lost the interconnections here. Once scattered, it’s unlikely to rebuild, sadly…

The various sites like the OSX Daily have been great, we once had MacSurfer’s https://www.macsurfer.com and all it’s various gatherings, including a yahoo Stock page, Polls, etc, but it collapsed, it still opens, some sites within are updated but not like it used to be… The TechNN https://www.technn.com also was a bit broader, from today’s peek, it may come back… Hard to beat experience, however…

I requested a new Apple Help Desk here, but haven’t heard anything yet, don’t know if they are even in a position to consider it yet, so we’ll see… I already admin several personal and local Groups in Facebook, have helpers where needed, been drafted in others, many of us retirees generally have the time, interest to admin or moderate things, so I don’t see the problem as insurmountable… I hesitate going to a new server, and yet another tab on an already busy browser… So we’ll see…

Market is not playing nice today…

2 Likes

From my HWTSC posting:

I also sent a request for a new board “Apple Help Desk” to gather the things we had on the various other Apple help boards…

(with typos fixed!)
(Tuni also requested a new Apple board)

1 Like

wecoguy
Market is not playing nice today…

It is ‘amusing’ to see ‘wise’ investors pushing down Apple yet more today. -2%.

Just exactly where do they think their decisions will take them? Apple is no longer a wise hold? Need to get out now before it’s too late? It is over for Apple? Nuts.

The company is insanely profitable, it ‘owns’ the PDA arena, with a solid niche in cell phones. It helps that they have more money than God.

It just makes sense to join the flock exiting the pen?

If one has cash sitting idle, it would be put to a good use to take advantage of the sheep who have sold off. (I don’t, so I can’t add, but I’m sure not anywhere close to thinking about selling.)

2 Likes

I requested a new Apple Help Desk here, but haven’t heard anything yet, don’t know if they are even in a position to consider it yet, so we’ll see…

Not interested in Apple as an investment at this point. Maybe sometime in the future. Actually I’m here for iPhone support since the Fool shut down the IOS Support group.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

1 Like

Am hoping if they approve any new apple board we can incorporate the iOS and desktop, iPads etc all into it. Am afraid that’s a big IF!

2 Likes

Can someone pls explain to me when they have other paid for services on offer, they seem shy in asking us to contribute a fair annual amount in order to keep the boards that matter(to
many of us)open and thereby it’s a win win for both sides.
What am I missing here?

2 Likes

I indeed have an interest in the shares, however I also look for help now and again, either for my self or family… As it is I tend to be the appleguy as far as the family, have been since way back in Apple ][+ days when we had a local User Group, NCMUG, with as many as 400+ members, plus the old SF AppleCore, Berkeley’s BMUG, later expanded to Boston, but now they’ve all collapsed, old time gurus have left us, I admin the remains of NCMUG on FB, but it’s pretty slow, mostly what I used to post here in the User board was also posted there, reminders of updates, tips… Google has almost eliminated a lot of the problem solving needs… But sometimes it’s just a lending hand, a reminder…

Anyway, it was one of the old time gurus in our UG that pointed out I should be investing in APPL, I did that in two batches in the early '90s after losing a bit in other financial ventures, plopped it down, never sold… that was all or 311 shares then… Hard to realize how many today…

I do have a HomeKit question, but I’m going to try the Building board, maybe a HomeKitter there?

weco

1 Like

Anyway, it was one of the old time gurus in our UG that pointed out I should be investing in APPL, I did that in two batches in the early '90s after losing a bit in other financial ventures, plopped it down, never sold… that was all or 311 shares then… Hard to realize how many today…

Not that it matters to the value of your investment, but it seems somewhat bizarre that 30+ years on you consistently get Apple’s stock ticker wrong.

-IGU-

6 Likes

it seems somewhat bizarre that 30+ years on you consistently get Apple’s stock ticker wrong.

Well, if we could Edit, I’d fix 'em… :slight_smile: I think, by now it’s old muscle memory, never a glance or thought, until now… Thanks for the heads up… Really never noticed… Funny… AApl just doesn’t seem right!

3 Likes

I have wondered for years but not enough to dig into it is APPL was already taken or Apple wanted to have a higher alphabetical ranking.

1 Like

What’s funnier yet is that if I Google “APPL”, i get all the Apple information from many sources…

2 Likes

I think the latter alphabetical ranking/sorting. It goes to the top of the list. - Ned

I have a question about a Classic Mac II I own. I hadn’t powered it up until recently and discovered it doesn’t work…some blank, wavy screen shows up. Curious about two things:

• One: do the links supplied with the first post help with this sort of problem (i.e., does it go that far back in terms of hardware…I haven’t clicked on them yet, I’ll have to search them first and see what they are rated for safety…I’m sure they’re fine, but if it won’t help, then I might as well not access them)

-Second: what I’m really interested in is accessing old writing on this computer…realistically, if I am getting such a screen on power up, is all the data lost, and will nothing help? I believe I did back up my writing, but I’m not sure those disks survived my basement (didn’t realize those old floppies could eventually lose data…with the Mac, it’s 3.5, but I was very disappointed when some of my Atari 800XL floppy disks, 5.25 I think, didn’t work; I was saddened by that, in fact)

1 Like

The Mac Classic II was last released in 1993, which means that computer is at least 29 years old. Maybe you used it for five years after that, meaning the data on it is at least 24 years old.

Are you sure you want to put in the effort to try to resurrect it? I ask because I started a thread on a similar effort back in 2011 for a Fat Mac/Mac Plus, which was maybe 20 years old when I tried resurrecting it. The effort took weeks. See

https://discussion.fool.com/vintage-computing-with-a-mac-plus-29…

I can’t answer whether the links in this current thread can help you, but the links in the older thread might be more likely.

Instead of trying to resurrect the Mac Classic II, you might consider opening it up and taking out the hard drive. The internal drives (40 or 80 MB) used an internal SCSI interface, so good luck finding an adapter – they still exist, but a lot of times, adapters labeled as SCSI are really IDE or SATA (e.g. on Amazon). It’s like people forgot what SCSI actually is.

-awlabrador

1 Like

Thanks for this very helpful reply. I am not technically minded so probably would have to seek someone to do some of this, but it provides a roadmap. Will look into this more. (I do sort of want to put some effort only because there may be some writing that is only on the computer itself; if my disks are capable of being read elsewhere, I may try that instead.)

Thanks again…