Mungofitch has left the building

Like many others, I too visited the Fool Boards mainly because of Jim. His knowledge of the markets, reliance on sound data, and compassionate nature are unrivaled on this board. I’m very sorry to learn that he is not coming back. I wish him the very best.

18 Likes

Hi Jim -

Hope you’re reading these. Like many, I want to pass on my thanks for years of education on investing and many other things besides.

A few years back my father lost his livelihood & retirement plan unexpectedly. Very dark days. Thanks above all to your insights, I managed to steward their meagre savings at that time into a healthy retirement.

My deepest and sincerest gratitude.

11 Likes

I want to thank TMF for destroying a useful investment tool in the middle of a financial crisis.

26 Likes

Thank you, Jim, for all the insights you’ve shared over the years. I was the quiet student at the back of the class but learned so much during my time at the University of Mungofitch.

Here’s a suggestion for continuing to teach while spending less time. www.mungofitch.com is available. Auto-post whatever portion of your dashboard you want to share. Maybe an occasional blog post when the mood strikes you. Make it subscription based. I’d like to be first in line but I think there’d be quite a battle for that honor.

Mostly, just thank you. You’ve given so much to the quiet kid in the back of the class. And I know I’m not alone.

28 Likes

What a terrible loss. Jim THANK YOU for everything you contributed, you informed me in ways you will never know and made me a fair amount of money along the way with some well timed insights. And you did it all with an amazing ability to stay rational, cordial and continue offering up wisdom to anyone that asked, even not so nicely. I hope our paths cross again. And MF, this is a worse outcome than you can imagine, we now have a twitter feed of useless junk and lost our most valuable contributor right when the world is turning upside down and we could most use the level headed wisdom off our MVP.

15 Likes

I second requesting Jim to start a subscription based service. Like PickTrader (and I assume many others on this board), I’m happy to subscribe even if he posts very occasionally whenever his mood strikes (even once a year or less).

Is it possible to send him the request (at least for his consideration)? Of course, if he is not interested, that would be completely understandable. He has already given us so much and for so long. But we would have tried.

13 Likes

Jim was an incredibly valued member of these boards and will be greatly missed.

What an awful interface this is.

16 Likes

Jim,

“Thank you” just doesn’t express the gratitude of so many people over so many years!

I wish you the very best of everything life has to offer!

You, Sir, are a “class act”, and will always be a true Fool in my heart.

Cheers!
Murph
BL Home Fool

24 Likes

This is sad news.
Thank you, Jim, for the great education and advise. You made this community something more than it can ever be without you.

GD_

11 Likes

That is sad and disappointing…but I certainly respect his decision. I cannot emphasize enough how much I relied upon Jim’s insights in navigating my BRK holdings.

8 Likes

I would definitely subscribe to that!

9 Likes

IMO, there was no one on the investing forums that cumulatively provided more value, insight, and knowledge sharing than Jim. The magnitude of this loss cannot be overstated. We can only hope that he reconsiders or possibly finds another forum to join as a replacement.

20 Likes

Alternatively, can we collectively appeal to TMF to bring back the old boards? Hopefully, that may make Jim reconsider his decision.

8 Likes

Hard to believe TMF didn’t understand Jim’s value.

Idiotic.

Thank you, Jim.

8 Likes

I don’t think Jim’s decision is due solely to the board’s changing. I think the change has afforded him the opportunity to back away. We appreciate him so much because he has given so freely not only of his knowledge but also his time. I understand his desire to step away and use his time differently.

22 Likes

Trying not to think of only myself, here, but damn! There goes the source of my…

Financial & Investing learning: 40%
Econ Tracking trends: 30%
BRK knowledge and learning: 60%
BRK value knowledge: 80%
Mentor for Kindness, Generosity and Humility: 95%
Reason for reading BRK board: 60%
Reason for being at TMF: 25%
All-time Favorite Fool: 100%

Jim, I wish you the very best, and although I think I understand your decision, I hope you reconsider, as you have enlightened and entertained so many people in so many ways. Thanks for all you have done and will do to help us lesser fools. You will always remain one of my all-time heroes and mentors.

*If I could email you privately, I would, but if that possibility exists, well, I can’t find it. (So, yeah, I get your decision.)

28 Likes

TMF is a disaster for doing this. Especially now

14 Likes

https://discussion.fool.com/profile/mungofitch/activity.aspx

“So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish”

Best,

NWV

9 Likes

We need to restore the old boards if only because this new format is abysmal.

It’s an awful day in BRK land now that Jim is gone. He helped us all so much.

7 Likes

Would guess that most readers of the lead post in this thread had a similar “pit-in-the-stomach” feeling that I experienced knowing that one of the best teachers I have ever had would no longer be at the head of the Board.
Godspeed Jim ,
ciao

16 Likes